• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water chemistry testing help

Hey guys I'm using ared sea pro alk test kit but the I instructions are kinda vague. The test kit instructions say add the solution drop by drop shaking until the solution turns from blue to red. I've watched a video by red sea and the guys shows blue to pink. My question is when do I stop the test as soon as the color changes from blue to a shade of pink or when the color changes from blue to a definitive red in other words when the color starts to change to that in between is that the result or am I still adding solution until its red like on the card provided

Hey guys I'm using ared sea pro alk test kit but the I instructions are kinda vague. The test kit instructions say add the solution drop by drop shaking until the solution turns from blue to red. I've watched a video by red sea and the guys shows blue to pink. My question is when do I stop the test as soon as the color changes from blue to a shade of pink or when the color changes from blue to a definitive red in other words when the color starts to change to that in between is that the result or am I still adding solution until its red like on the card provided
I believe when it’s starts to turn pink it is going to change quickly. A few more drops and your done. So wait for red but yes it’s close. There is only a a couple of drops that separates the two colors or shades

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
As you approach the titration point it will turn pink.
Just add 1 drop at a time and swirl slightly.
You'll see a very noticeable change soon, as in it will go from 'I think thats turning red' to 'That is definitely red' in a drop.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Any and all color changing titrations work the same way.....Color change from COLOR A to COLOR B. Once Color A appears to have disappeared, read the syringe. Add one more drop, if no additional color change, take the prior reading. If color continues to change, add one drop at a time, and repeat. You don't need to match the color on the card. It basically is the first color, whatever it may be, totally changing, where one more drop doesn't change the color.

One of my Red Sea testers had a color that did not match the instructions. When I asked the red sea rep (he happened to be at ACC one day) he said that it had changed and neither the video or instructions had been updated yet. So I agree, when the reaction is complete, use that result.