• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water Flow suggestions

Hey guys i have been working to basically redo my tank or atleast rethink the way i had done things in the past in an attempt to turn around the previous decline of my tank. Over the past few weeks i have changed the lighting up and its schedule, revamped my sump, adjusted my rock work, bought new test kits to ensure accuracy, started a better testing an water change schedule, started doseing aminos and calcium and calkwasser, and bumped up my water flow.
Oh an also knocked out the aptasia population.

After all that i have seen some pretty good improvement in my tank, but after doing some research in a few books i own about coral keeping and watching a youtube video regarding an interview with jason fox i am starting to believe a part of the equation i was missing before the changes was good water flow. Now i have always had multiple power heads on the tank and not to long ago i upgraded those to two MP40's but what ive noticed from everything i have seen and read was that i dont think i quite had the circulation as good as i thought i did.

The book ive been studying pretty much sums up some of the symptoms i was seeing by confirming their number one cause as not enough circulation and the videos i watch show pretty dynamic movement of soft corals anemones and LPS something that i know wasnt happening in my tank but i guess i just assumed that i had good circulation just not surging circulation to the point in which the corals were being moved.

So anyways i have 2 MP40s i bought used and i am trying to set them up on my tank in the best positions and with the most ideal flow pattern. Only one issue i can not put a power head on the right side wall of the tank as i do not have enough room between the glass and wall and i can not move the tank even if i wanted because of space limitations.

My tank dimensions are 48 across by 36 deep and 18 inchs wide.

those of you familiar with MP40s do any you have any suggestion on placement of the two and the best flow and power setting to get the most movement in the tank with out directly blasting the coral?

Is there space to put a power head other than an mp40. I ask because I had same problem and just used a power head that had motor on inside of tank. They only need half an inch of space for the mount I have MP heads and they are nice. But I hate that there is NO directional flow. Only strait a head. So you can’t intersect flow as nicely

i think i may have an old one laying around i can try to add to the system
these didnt come with instructions im pretty sure i have a gen 1 controller and a newer generation controller any ideas about the colors and there settings im pretty sure i got them to sync up master and slave.