• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Waterproof tape or what?

Hello all,

I am interested in adding a piece of something that will cover the top 1.5 inches of my aquapod glass. I need it to go all the way around the tank and not come off in case it gets wet. I just wish I knew what was on the back of the tank to cover it already. That would be the best. It has to be black. Reason: when filling and all in one tank there is an area at the top of the tank that does not get covered by water. I do not want to see the water line and I do not want to raise the water high enough to cover it, otherwise surface skimming gets ruined. I was thinking some waterproof tape. Suggestions on what to use are appreciated.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If I'm understanding you correctly...You can use masking tape to tape off @ 1.5" and then paint a black band around the top of the tank. It may take a couple of coats, I've used black rustoleum paint (not the spray) to paint the back of my 90g because I could use spray paint as it was already inside my house.

HTH

Try black electrical tape. If it doesn't work you can just peel it off.

I was thinking about the same thing for my AP 24.

Dirk

Thanks you guys for the information and links.. I actually ended up going to home depot and picking up glass paint that air dries. Then I put it back, then I picked up tape, and then I put it back and then I looked for something like floor skid strips and I found them and then I put them back. At least this information above will give other people some options.

I decided to use black electrical tape which is about 3/4" and it went on the tank well and is sticking pretty damn perfect. In fact you cannot tell where the lid starts and ends. It works really well. I used alcohol to clean that area of the tank. I put the tape on and allowed it to go under the plastic lip. Then I used a sock to smooth it out and press it firmly to the tank. Came out really awesome. Should stay for a long time.

Thanks for the advice above. I just start to over analyze at times and forget to keep it simple. This time I was fortunate enough to stop myself. :)

Almost ready, just have to drill one more hole for return line from chiller, and well get the chiller and pump, lol....

ap12.jpg

as you CAN'T see the tape worked out perfectly!