• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Weird occurrance

So today I was doing some routine maintenance in my sump (adjusting heaters to compensate for winter, rinsing pre-filters, etc). Well, while I had my pre-filters out for cleaning, a huge sheet of that black mesh coating on my heater peeled off. Before I could catch it, it got sucked into my return pump and now tiny pieces of it are floating around in my display. Obviously it's reef-safe or else it wouldn't be on an aquarium heater, but my polyps have all grabbed little pieces of it now and occasionally a fish will grab a piece thinking it's food. I threw in some extra mechanical filtration, but there is still a lot floating around. Anyone else ever have this happen? Can anyone think of any disastrous consequences, or am I probably fine here?

I wouldnt worry so much about the toxicity of the material...like you said its probably safe if it in the water already.

I would be more concerned about the fish trying to eat it...or actually eating it and getting am intestinal obstruction.

I dont think it will hurt the corals.