• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Weird question but.....

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I noticed lately that when I put my hand in the tank I get what seems like an electric shock under my finger nails. Not very strong but enough for me to notice. At first I thought it was a cut under my nail as it partially ripped off. I would expect a burn not a shock if it was the cut. Any ideas on how I can determine if there is to much electricity in my water.

Thanks,
Mark

VOM set to ac....one lead in water, one lead in ground of electrical socket. I would wear gloves and rubber soled boots when doing this.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I assume a VOM is a volt meter, which I don't have. I am more concerned a piece of equipment is malfuncting and causing stray voltage.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can always have somebody unplug each piece of equipment while you have your hand in the tank. When the shock stops you know what piece is causing it. If you have a heater in the tank I would start with that.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Matt,
I was thinking the same thing about unpluging 1 at a time. The heater is about 2 years old so I will start with it. The other thing I realized was that my Phosban reactor sprung a leak and the power strip got pretty wet. I dried it ouy but think I'll replace it just to be safe.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Jon,
I definitely plan to replace it. Just wondering if I can run without one. Does anyone hear do this?

Use your hand as a test???? Not really a good idea until you know whats going on. Radio Shack has a couple of multimeters for under $20. Well worth the safety of your life IMO. One slip up and poof, not only does your tank get zapped, but so do you. You'll get stray voltage no matter what in the tank. But is there enough potential there to kill you?