• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What Is It?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A bunch of pieces of a mushroom looking dark brown things are growing in the tank on some of the rocks and on the glass. The underside is more grayish in color. When plucked out of the tank, they look like cooked mushrooms you’d have with a good steak.

Pictures aren’t the best:
UnknownThing.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
no way of telling from the pics. What I can say is, be careful what you pickoff the rock with out knowing what it is. 1) can be toxic 2) could be a really great hitchhiker

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here’s another shot…I know not the best…but using less zoom. These things feel like a regular old mushroom.

UnkownTwo.jpg

Thanks

Sorry, it's almost impossible to tell from the pictures. For a second I thought they COULD be mushrooms, but of course I'm not sure. In the last picture you posted, where you circled the mysteries, it looks like there are some sort of air bubbled involved - or am I seeing thing?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JerseyWendy said:
Sorry, it's almost impossible to tell from the pictures. For a second I thought they COULD be mushrooms, but of course I'm not sure. In the last picture you posted, where you circled the mysteries, it looks like there are some sort of air bubbled involved - or am I seeing thing?

Yes, there are air bubbles...another problem we're trying to resolve...we think it's the spray bar return??? Are you suggesting that the presence of bubbles promotes some unknown creature?

redfishbluefish said:
Yes, there are air bubbles...another problem we're trying to resolve...we think it's the spray bar return??? Are you suggesting that the presence of bubbles promotes some unknown creature?

Heavens no. If that was the case my entire tank would be crawling with mystery critters. :eek:

But I "believe" since the bubbles are right there on the mystery things, that something is happening right there. Again, perhaps they are mushrooms.

Also, please take Rich's advice. Be extra careful when you yank unknown stuff out of there, as we don't want you coming down with a mysterious ailment. (It's happened to me....when I inhaled a good amount of saltwater from a curing tank :-X)

i recently just cut some of the same stuff off of a polyp rock i have... it's black, slimy, kinda firm, and other than choking some palys seemd rather benign

mine didn't feel like a sponge... wasn't at all porice(sp?). mine def was the same as what he had... not sure what it was, i am curious to see if cutting into mine will make it grow back faster.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
By the way, the 10 to 12 “unknowns” that were in the tank have seemed to have disappeared. The only changes that were made after they arrived:

1. Changed from cf’s to T5 lights.
2. Boosted Mg (after finally purchasing a Mg test kit).