• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What is the most economical and bestest RODI system?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I know, open ended question. Right now I have a RODI Buddy 4 stage...but its not optimal. It takes forever and wastes a ton of water. I have 3 tanks right now, and am planning on getting a bigger and moving all the others up a size in the future.

Just wondering what everyone is doing for water these days?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Bulk reef supply makes very good units and so does Aqua FX, cost is going to depend on how many GPD you want.

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
5 stage rodi unit with booster pump. It is a spectrapure unit.

Didnt buy it all at once but saved some pennies and bought the booster pump a couple years after i got the RODI unit. Saved me about 12 - 15 minutes per 5 gallons made and noticeably less waste water coming out.

I always see RODI units used and fair priced on FB marketplace.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I use the RODI Buddy from Amazon and took 3 or 4 hours to make 5g water. Picked up a booster pump and make 5g in 1.5 hours approximately.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Get a full-size unit. Does not take up much more space. A lot quicker and save $$$ on filters.
The membrane lasts 2 years for me, I replace all the filters once for about $35. Replacing all filters and membrane is more than a new RODI buddy unit so I tend buy a new every 2 years on average.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
The membrane lasts 2 years for me, I replace all the filters once for about $35. Replacing all filters and membrane is more than a new RODI buddy unit so I tend buy a new every 2 years on average.
Interesting. That's what I'm using, too...just thought it was more of a temporary unit. I feel like in my FOWLR tank, I'll be changing water more often due to big appetites...but maybe I'll ride it out for a bit.

Thanks everyone for the advise! :)

Interesting. That's what I'm using, too...just thought it was more of a temporary unit. I feel like in my FOWLR tank, I'll be changing water more often due to big appetites...but maybe I'll ride it out for a bit.

Thanks everyone for the advise! :)

When you came here and stole my pizza didn't you notice the Cheap Aquatic Life one mounted above my frag tanks lol. Been using it for years and yeah just replace the filters once a year roughly and you are good to go. Unscrew the old and toss, screw new ones in and ready to go. (flushing required of course.)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I was using a Buddy RODI with booster, loved it.
Went to a 5 stage BRS.
Six months later back to the Buddy (fortunately I kept the booster).
I replace the membrane 1x per year and the cartridges every 3-4 months at cost of $30 or so.
DI I just replace as needed from a 5 pound bag.
Runs me about $130-140 a year to maintain and fills a 5g bucket in an hour.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This is my 2cents . maintaining water is the most important factor in this hobby.
You have to start with zero tds water. You have to setup an easy way of making water changes. The easier this is the more you will do it.

when I 1st started I had a 125 gallon tank. I purchased a RODI buddy from Amazon. Every 6 months I had to replace the media that was about $100.
I now use the brs 7 stage and I spend about 1/2 to replace the media about $40 every 6 months

get the best RODI that fits your budget and make sure you can change the media when needed.

Last edited: