• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What to dip a new coral with?

I recently purchased a small colony of polyps and noticed a tiny little bug in the bag...it looked like a real small slug or leech. Reading other posts and forums I noticed a lot of members are dipping corals in solutions. What kind of solutions should I be using and also do all corals need to be dipped?? Are those little leech things harmful to the tank??? Ive had saltwater tanks for years but really never had any kind of corals and currently just getting started with them...and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Brian

They sell coral dips . I use one,can think of the name but it smells like pinesol . You should dip all corals that enter your system . It is really hard or close to impossible to get rid of some pests that might hitchhike .I am guilty of not dipping sometimes . If it comes from a members "trusted" tank I sometimes dont . I have not yet had bad luck but I would not recommend doing this .
It is real hard to tell what kind of bug you are talking about without a picture . Here is a list/pics of some pests,hope this helps ,Paul
http://zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384

After purchasing Revive how do I use it? Does the coral have to sit in the solution or just dip it quickly?
Thanks for the advice,

Brian

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don’t mean to sound callous, read the label!

Directions: Mix 4 capfuls (40 ml) of ReVive per gallon of clean saltwater in a bucket or other container suitable for bathing the coral. Wash coral in this mixture for a few minutes while gently swirling it or use an air stone for agitation. After the bath, remove coral from ReVive/saltwater mixture and place it in a saltwater aquarium with moderate water flow. The ReVive/saltwater may be used again for cleaning several corals, but it should be discarded after 1 hour of use.

I was just curious....geeeeezzzz....you dont have to make me look stupid! J/K I havent gone out to get it yet so I was just wondering how to use it....when I do BUY IT, I will read the label Thanks though I appreciate the advice!!

Brian

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian, sorry! I read your original post as “I just bought this stuff, how do I use it.” I thought you already had it. Again, sorry about that. Can I take my foot out of my mouth now?

Brian,
What I and a couple of other people do is use the water that the frag came with, use a cereal bowl or something to that nature, if there isn't enough water use some of your tank water and pour the water into it, shake the revive bottle and use 1 capfull then put the frag in and wait about 5 min, then shake the frag a few times let it sit another min or so then shake again. use some tank water in a separate cup or bowl then dip and shake the frag in that, then inspect, if you don't see anything put it in your tank. That's just one way of doing it that is a lot easier than using a full gallon of water.

Not a problem....no need to apologize....anyways....thanks again for all of your help guys...this site is incredible for finding out information....Thanks again!!!

Brian

I also use revive but I also dip in tropic marine pro cure. I try not to take chances. It doesn't take much.

I haven't used Revive but hear great things especially for zoas and palys. I'd like to try it as well as a final dip for its tissue cleaning.

I use the Tropic Marin Pro Cure, on all incomming corals it is great for "slug" type pests, but only gets the adults. You also want to scrub the substrate the frag comes on for eggs & re-dip. For SPS I also use Interceptor (This is for crustacean pests like red bugs). Some folks also use Flatworm Exit or Fluke Tabs as a dip, it doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

I use MediCoral by Brightwell Aquatics, its simple to use. just take saltwater from your tank and put it into a bucket or some container, and for every gallon you use 20 drops. so if you only have 1/2 gallon of water use 10 drops, or soo on, its easy.