• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What to put in aquafuge..?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Hey guys,

I picked up an aquafuge yesterday for my 29g. The guy hooked me up with a bunch of chaeto, too.

I have a pretty deep sand bed in the tank, so I'm not worried about the small amount of sand I could put in the fuge. Even though it's a relatively big device, it's not even comparable to the 40 lbs of sand I put in the display tank.

So, I'm wondering if I should still do sand in the bottom of the fuge, or if I should break up some LR and fill the bottom with rubble.

I'd like to basically grow chaeto and pods...

Fuge is new to me, so thanks for any advice!

damon

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Ok, well maybe I'll try and hit it off with what my current plan is:

I'm just going to scoop out enough live sand from the display tank to make like a 1/2 to 1 inch sand bed

I'm going to break up some live rock and stick the rubble in the fuge for the pods to hang out in. This will probably take up another 2 inches

Which leaves a good 9x14x5 inch area for the chaeto to grow.

Sound about right? :)

I would put Live sand and LR in with the Macro's. That is what I have in my CPR HOB fuge. What kind of lights are you going to use for it to grow the Macro. Make sure you use 6000K to 7000K range or so for the light. Do not get a 10000K or 50/50 as the algea will not grow as well.

Mike,

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Well, for starters I'm not going to do the reverse lighting thing. I know it's probably the way to go, but for now, just not going to do it (will work that out later).

Right now I have about 220 watts of PC power on top of the tank. 2 actinics and 2 6500k bulbs. It's crazy bright on that little tank.

Right now the Actinics are in the back, but I will just swap them around so that the 6500k are in the back and the actinic in the front. That should be plenty of light spill out into the fuge. I'm actually hoping it won't be too much, actually.

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

I'm not so sure I'd put live sand in a fuge unless I knew there would enough diversity in the sand to avoid it becoming a nutrient sink. Pods would be perfectly happy in the chaeto and rubble. Most of the worms and mini stars that I saw in my sand were also quite happy to be in the chaeto.

My vote would be the rock rubble and chaeto on top. Good luck on whatever you decide though.