• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Where is your Refugium in your current setup?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
In my opinion, the main advantage of not sending all of the water through the fuge is related to flow rates. You want to give water a little more resonance time in the fuge to allow filtration to take place. If the flow rate is too high, the fuge doesn't work as well as it could. But, you wouldn't want to run that reduced rate through the rest of your system because you want to have a relatively high turnover rate in your main.

Someone (Nagel I think) posted a good list of rules of thumb for tunrover rates in fuges and mains. I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

Anyway, all of your water will make it through the fuge, unless you have some SERIOUS dead spots, so it's best to give he macro's a chance to work.

Again, this is just my opinion based on some of the things I've read on the internet. You know the old adage, "If it's on the internet, it must be true!".

malulu

NJRC Member
JohnS_323 said:
You know the old adage, "If it's on the internet, it must be true!".

John,
"if is in from you, it must be 100% perfect/correct! cause you are always right!!"
;D

I would agree with IrradiatedReef, if all my sumps, refugium was on the same level, i would do it that way.
but since i have them in two level zones, this is the best i can do for now.

My tank is no where near setup, but when I'm done since I can't have my multistage in sump refugium underneath my tank in the cabinet, I will have it outside to the left. It'll be a bit loud, but it's the best I can do.

I've redid my plumbing a little bit and I'm happy with the outcome (for now). I have 1/2 my returns going into the refugium and 1/2 going directly to a dedicated skimmer box. The skimmer box handles about 90% of the volume hitting it with about 10% spilling over directly into the sump. The refugium and skimmer both empty directly into the sump.

This also game me one of my manifold ports back.

Carlo