• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which bulb for 2 X 250 HQI

I just picked up a Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight Pro, 2x250W HQI Lamp + 2x96W CF Lamps Sq. Pin + 4x1W LED I plan on putting this on my 140gal 29" deep.

Which HQI bulbs do you recommend I am thinking 10K but not sure if that is good or which brand is best.

Thanks
Dan :eek:

Really depends what look you want. If you want a white look with a touch of blue from the actinics Geissman 14.5k's or Iwasaki 14k are nice. If you want a bluer look to the tank the Phoenix 14k is a solid choice.

My question to you is what are you going to keep in your tank? SPS, LPS softies?..and also what color you want your tank to look like. As for myself I like the bluer tank so I either go with 14k or 20k.

Well I currently have in my 55, which will move to the 140. 2 Acros, a BTA and a Clam. I am currently running 5X54 tx5's and the light is kind of white. Maybe I will try the bluer 14K.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Open a thread asking to borrow a old 250w bulb to try to see if you like it. It may be easier if you were a member ;)

Bob

I replaced my old(ish) unknown brand of 10K' with 2 Ushio 250W 10K's and thought they were a little on the stark white side. I replaced the 2 -96W PC's with the Current Sunpaq 420nm/480nm Dul Actinics which are basically 2 different blues and this helped alot. I'm still trying to decide if I like the look or not, it may still be a bit white. On the other hand, the corals are growing like crazy, although some have lost heir color. I'm expecting them to color up in the near future when they get used to the new bulbs. I know, they were slowly acclimated to the new bulb, they actually lost their color about 2 months after the switch.

My thought is 14K may be too blue, for me, but the Ushio may be too white.