• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which Salt???

I have always been a Tropic Marin user, and had good results.
Now I am setting up my new big system, finally, and I was thinking: Should I change to Instant Ocean, due to being able to get it more easily (say, in an emergency) at PetSmart etc.?
Does everybody use IO?

I use IO...all I have ever used.

There have been endless discussions on salt, expert articles and even in depth chemical analysis...and yet, people seem loyal to their own brand. I have also read about people switching salt and their tanks crashing...or thriving...incidentaly with the same brand of salt.

That tells me that it probably doesnt matter a whole lot.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We've always used Reef Crystals. The alk seems a bit high and the PH a bit low. We're going to be switching over to Tropic Marin. I'll let you know how it goes.

I use Oceanic and love it. I started out with Reef Crystals and had alk issues with it. Since I switched and did some fine tuning, everything has been A-OK!.

C

concept3

hey phillys, i thought you guys switched over to TM already?

TM here too, or the PRO when my pockets gain a few extra pounds in them since I like to buy them in lots of 3 :)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Merv, we switched to TM and didn't see any benefit to it at all. We're trying Pro now to see if that helps with the alk/pH issues we see with RC.