• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

white fungus? Green weeds? Identify

Seems like this white fungus is growing on the LR. Is this good or bad? I did latest water test and everything is alright. No issues other than my hair algae and unmoved non-white sand on one side of the tank with green weeds growing. The other side of the tank sandbed is nice and white.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pictures would help. Hard to identify based on your descriptions.

I'll grab some pictures tomorrow when the lights are on. The rock that it's growing on, I bought from someone elses tank. Brought it home, did a light scrub on it and put it in my tank. My tank was only 3-4 weeks old at the time and had no fish.

The white hair kind of looks like thin non dense white mold.

First of all it's not good.

If it's only on that one piece remove it. You can cook it in the oven for an hour at 400 and kill off all the spores. Just scrub it good afterwards to get as much off the outside as possible.

There will be some die-off on the inside that you can't get to. If this one rock makes up less then 10% of your total rock you can probably put it back in the tank after it cools (an hour or so). If it's a larger part of your rock work then you might need to put it in a rubbermaid trashcan or something and cycle it.

Keep an eye on it to make sure the fungi doesn't come back again.\

Carlo

PS this is just one way to handle the problem but normally pretty easy if you can get to the rock easily.