• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wrasse in Overflow........

Anyone have any ideas how to get a fish OUT of an overflow? I just got him yesterday and he jumped right into it after being chased a little bit. I was hoping he would take the magical water slide into the sump but he seems happy swimming at the bottom.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pull the stand pipe? A tiny net and a pinch of food?

I know this happened to Hef and he finally figured out how to get the fish out... but I don't remember how he did it. Persistance, I think.

Phyl said:
Pull the stand pipe? A tiny net and a pinch of food?

I know this happened to Hef and he finally figured out how to get the fish out... but I don't remember how he did it. Persistance, I think.

Yea, I am going to pick up a tiny net today and see what I can do. My large net does nothing. I was thinking of pulling the pipe but that would be a LOT of work. That may be a last resort this weekend if I can't get him another way.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
my pipe comes out easily since it isn't glued in there. Is your drain pipe glued in?

Phyl said:
my pipe comes out easily since it isn't glued in there. Is your drain pipe glued in?

They are screwed in but I will have to drain the overflow and things like that. It is not terribly bad just a pain and I am hoping I can get him out without doing that.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pulling the pipe out of the inside of the overflow will drain it. Just pull out the pipe and flush the fish ;D

Get a REALLY big, REALLY cheap net and mush it to the size of your overflow, dividing the overflow in half. Hopefully, the fish will end up on the half the net is in (*and not on the other side of the pipes). Drag upwards.

(*this happened a few times with the same darned indigo hamlet- I learned to stop being careful and delicate after a while)

I've had my cleaner wrasse one year and he sometimes goes into my corner overflow. Lately epecially,six times in two weeks. I've noticed he doesn't do it as long as I feed brine shrimp in the morning.
Here's how I get him out - from the top of the opened hood, I move the lights and remove the sponge out of the corner overflow. I use my hand as a scoop to corner him, start lifting upward while closing my hand gently. WHile my fist is gently closed around the fish, I lift him out and put him into the tank. I have also used a small bent net and corenered him but my hand fits and it works the best. Good luck!

Yeah I had it happen, I now cover my overflow.
It was about 40mins of frustration, but my fish was about 4 -5 inches.
I thought he was dead because he disappeared for 3 months only for me to look up under my tank and these two eyes staring at me. Go figure.

Good luck all I did was food in the net and lots of luck.