• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Yellow Tang Woes

Our Yellow Tang is not looking well. Beautiful when we bought it in September 2017. Behaves normally, not bothered by any tankmates. We feed him seaweed from a clip but he does gobble up meaty foods when we feed the carnivores. We try to keep a low nutrient tank with No3Po4X and high quality Carbon/GFO. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.Yellow_Tang.JPG

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Unfortunately, I believe she is on her way out. Tangs main diet is seaweed - veg stuff. They do go after the meaty frozen stuff but that is like fast food for them. They need veg diet every day and maybe a snack of frozen at times. Was she ever eating seaweed, pellets, flakes? Looking at her fins she has already lost a chunk - looks like HLLE to me.

Good luck.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Looks like HLLE to me as well: HLLE (Head & Lateral Line Erosion)

You can reverse it (somewhat) be feeding nori and vitamin enriched foods, but he will most likely never look 100% "normal".

If you haven't done so already, I would check for stray voltage in the water just to rule that out as a possible cause.

1. Stop using carbon immediately. Some studies say it causes HLLE

2. Feed LRS herbivore formula soaked with Selcon and a garlic supplement. I use Brightwell Aquatics Garlic Power

My yellow tang is on a diet or nori and LRS reef frenzy (the one with veggies in the mix) I've noticed he eats his nori in healthy portions but seems to go after meaty foods like the chunky seafood bits in reef frenzy and the brine\myisis shrimp I feed. He will also eat these spectrum pellet food I feed regularly, he has a good healthy appetite.
I've always wondered if it was a health concern that he eats as much meaty foods as he does because a lot of information on range has them listed as herbavores.

The clip doesn't always work. I have a powder brown tang that refused to eat nori from a clip. I ended up using garlic infused nori, but wrapped it with a rubberband on some live rock rubble. Leave it in the tank and replaced as needed. Bottom line the tang recognized the nori as food, and I eventually stopped using the rubber band trick. (Now the fish eats greedily off a clip). Anyways I want to claim credit but I think Wil from AO suggested this method. I use Ocean Nutrition brand with Garlic Extract. The stuff smells so good...my wife thought I was hiding food...lol.

Hawkeye I use the same stuff and yes it smells delicious the previous brand was just the kelp an no additives and it used to make me gag