• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Your favorite CUC members and Why?

Everyone seems to have some favorites or ones they avoid. I am interested in some of the favorites out there, and why they like them.

If there is any additional useful information it would be great to add that in e.g. "reef safe"

I love the carribean type that Reeftopia supplies. I have two that have been with me about four years. I've had another two disappear and not cause any problems.

They are always busy cleaning the sand and you can see the difference they make. My largest is 8"-9" inches and is know affectinalely as "poop fish" to the family.

My snails are my favorite because they have no fear of crawling on the front of the Koralia 2 to clean it, those guys are brave & Strong. I know bristleworms are good but I just discovered a 6" long one living under a live rock and man that is one ugly SOB, I'm afraid to put him back in for fear of him eating me in my sleep.

blange3 said:
I love the carribean type that Reeftopia supplies. I have two that have been with me about four years. I've had another two disappear and not cause any problems.

They are always busy cleaning the sand and you can see the difference they make. My largest is 8"-9" inches and is know affectinalely as "poop fish" to the family.

Oops! I took CUC to be cucumber and not clean up crew, but the answer remains the same. I love my carribean cucumbers. Next comes cerith snails, then emerald crabs.

I am with Bill my cucumber(sea turd)...and second are the conchs.
Got some chestnut turbo's from AO...they turned out to be sorta nice.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
My favorite snails are the nassarius as they keep the sand bed stirred and are actually interesting to watch (ceriths as well). Hermits are all a necessary evil, they can be nasty little buggers but they do help the tank. Our chestnut snails with the orange snails are also really cool (before they turn pink with coraline). Conchs are also up there for us as well.

For those with sandbeds:
fighting conches - use two in my 120 for sand sifting and eating up diatoms/algae on the sand
nassarius snails - eat leftover food and stir the sand
cerith snails - sand dwellers that pop out to eat algae on rocks/glass.
sea cucumber - eats dirty sand, poops out clean sand.

Glass/LR cleaners:
trochus snails - more effective than astrea snails, faster and flip themselves upright.
nerite snails - smaller and able to get into nooks on LR - i find the lifespan to be short though.
mexican turbo - it eats almost everything - but knocks over unsecure corals
astrea snails - algae eaters, and they are CHEAP.

Hitchhikers:
chiton - algae eater - free
stomatella - algae eater - free
mini-brittle stars - free

Misc:
Serpent star - people think i have a small octopus in the tank.
urchin - don't have one but find them to be fascinating and I'd like one in the future.
hermits - i don't use them anymore as i find their lifespan to be short and they were pretty nasty about pulling food out of my corals (e.g. sun coral). But they are cheap, fun and useful for eating leftover food.

AO once carried tank-raised abalone. Of course I'd rather just eat em.
lol
;D

Here are some of my personal favorites:

Tiger Sand Conch: sand sifter/algae eater/cyano eater
Nassarius Snails: sand stirrer/leftover consumer

Emerald Crab: algae eater/leftover consumer
Electric Blue Hermits: algae eater

Mexican Turbo: Nice as a generalist/but knocks down corals constantly - have a love/hate relationship with this one.

Cerith - I can only say that I either do not have enough, or I am not recognizing the real value. I know people love them, but mine do not seem to be that effective, so I am not that hot on these snails.

I would love to find a very effective glass cleaner, but I have not found one yet.