• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zooanthid Toxin rash Ouch-advise!

While playing with my frags I got some on me, not good. Then fresh water dipping and swooshing around, I got the water on my arms, again not good, no details, but has anyone dealt with this?? Cortizone, nothing is working! Read the thread on RC, no help!
GregH Dam Fragging addiction!

If your having a bad reaction I would suggest seeing your doctor. If really bad the emergency room.
Some people are affected worse than others.
always wear gloves !!!

I used to get a rash from some nasty Palys I had. It looked like poison ivy and itched like crazy for days. Try placing paper towels soaked in white vinegar on your arms for a while. It works better the sooner after exposure though.

On the bright side it made me really think twice before I put my hands in the tank "is moving this or that really necessary"? My tank never looked better after I stopped messing with it.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh if you mix vinegar and kosher salt it dries up poison ivy really fast. Maybe that combo would help for the paly sting too.

John's gotten it in his eyes a couple of times (don't take out contacts after working with palys even if the sting doesn't bother your skin). The first time he though he was going to go blind from it. Some antibiotic ointment from the doctor and 2-3 days to heal and he was good as new.

That was his inspiration for lasar surgery!

If really bad the emergency room.
Not a that stage, but not good.
It looked like poison ivy and itched like crazy for days.
That describes it but on a higher level or too ,Been a month since the main exposer, very slow healing, like a chemical burn.
has this happened before? cause you play with lotsa zoos. was it a particular one that caused it?
First Time did not were gloves, not a immediate reaction, but DAMM, after a few days i new I screwed up. Second Time Was splash above the gloves on the arm. Just plain zoos, 12 or do types. They were seceating Mucus, Thats the bad stuff.
John's gotten it in his eyes a couple of times
Phil, Perhaps a warning sticky would be a good idea on the forum, I could contribute my experience to it, plus info from other forums. This is something that has made me conceder giving up on my Reefs.
Hey, keep looking into this please, uninsured and doc bills are not needed!!
Thank you for responding GregH

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Greg. If you want to do the research and start a new thread on Toxin's in the reef, I'll sticky it.

Mike Yes, Been researching Already, Amazing some of the nasty s we have in our tanks.
I have been in touch with multiple persons on RC that had the same thing, 2 month + healing time. Dermatitis Burn, Allergic Reaction and Secondary Infection. The information is scattered and mostly done for possible medical applications for new drugs and is incomplete due to the cost involved. Observations from individuals are showing the same results, Example, The Bristle Worm has a mild Toxin in each hollow shaft that when it penetrates the skin may result in a tingling and numbness for up to to 3 months but no treatment is cited!
Basic Recommendations At This Point.
Minimum Precautions,
Wear Gloves, preferably ones that extend up the forearm.
Use Eye Protection. Be very aware not to touch your eyes or unprotected skin while working.
Wash hands and any skin that may have been exposed with soap and water to remove toxins and Bacteria. Special care should be taken with any open wounds to prevent secondary infections. Hand sterilizers, Hydrogen peroxide and Antibiotic Ointments have be used before and after possible exposure.
Treat all tools, Surfaces, Towels Ect used while working as contaminated and wash or discard immediately.

Follow up- Finally went to the Doctor, been about 5 weeks, never healed. He knew exactly what it was and how to treat it! Three day into it and I am healing nicely. Heavy oral steroids, 37 tabs of 10MG Prednisone in 9 days and clobetasol ointment, topical, twice a day,(Super High Potency).
This is more commonly known as Coral contact dermatitis and Nonhealing pruritic rash.
Link-http://www.cortlandtforum.com/Nonhealing-pruritic-rash-after-a-visit-to-the-Caribbean/article/118799/2/
Note-This cannot be treated at home, nosporin, Cortizone ect. are useless.
At the unofficial meeting at the Trop, Harlequin introduced me to a reefer with the same burns, he has had them for six months and his son has the same thing, I think he ran to the Doctor after our talk.
Anyway, posted this here so members would read it and learn. I am working on a post on this, lots of info to sort thu, most from surfing sites and medial papers.
GregH

thanks for the heads up. i thought about you yesterday when we pulled the tank apart and moved it. my RBTA was squirting a little when i pulled it from the water.