• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Etmanning's 90g Build

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I am trying Red Sea Pro which I picked up at ACC.
Oh nice! Are you going to be running thesta tank with only this salt now that it's set back up? Watch out for high ALK

Sidenote: had anyone had a hermit crab take a liking to GSP before? There was one sitting on my colony earlier that caused it to completely close up. Just making his way around the tank or eating?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
After more than quadrupling in size in less than a month, my macroalgaes have suddenly come to a halt. I went into R2R and asked Randy Holmes (this guy is a genius) and was recommended to dose iron.

That meant a trip to Walgreens (they’re the only place that carries the supplement we need)

Per his instructions I mixed up one tablet per 25ml RODI and will let the tablets sit overnight to dissolve.

Dosage is 1 ml per 100 gallons per week.

I’ll keep updating on here to see if there is another surge in growth.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Update:

I received a goodie bag from BRS today! Mostly included water testing/filtration stuff.

New RODI filters
Test kit refills
Hanna ALK checker (this thing is great)
Filter socks
Salt
Grounding probe
Carbon reactor
Carbon
Extension cable for Reefkeeper

I was finally able to do a battery of tests and get a baseline for my tank. This is what I came up with:

Salinity- 1.024
ALK- 7.7
CA-395
Magnesium- 1360
PH-8.27

Looks like my ALK/CA are a bit low, I might need to increase my kalk potency again. I see this as a good thing, means my coral are really taking off.

I have a new temp probe on its way from marine depot, should be here tomorrow!

As you all can see, I’m really getting the tank in shape to win this frag grow out.

Also, both new fish should be going in this weekend. They have made it through QT with no issues and are both eating well. I’m ready to move that tank and finally have some room to work with in my fishroom again.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Oh nice! Are you going to be running thesta tank with only this salt now that it's set back up? Watch out for high ALK

Sidenote: had anyone had a hermit crab take a liking to GSP before? There was one sitting on my colony earlier that caused it to completely close up. Just making his way around the tank or eating?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My hermits sit on the gsp all the time for some reason too.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I have always kept mine at 1.024. Pretty sure that’s equivalent to NSW

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Update:

I recently made a few purchases for the tank from POTO and Iconic Aquariums, both great local vendors.

Picked these up from the most recent POTO auction:

Blasto—>
90f60539131bad18c1814456e00a5a58.jpg

Forest fire digi (this color is unreal) —>

98ca6c6a0d8ca1e5859225a88e8d8eb4.jpg

And got a leopard wrasse from Iconic, been wanting one of these for a long time. It’s best not to quarantine these fish due to their sensitive nature and resistance to disease so I did a short drip acclimation (salinity was perfectly matched to the shop) and in he went, right into the sand... this is all I have seen of the fish since. This is actually a picture of the bottom pane of glass of my tank. Good looking tail at least haha.

000e444ef56b6991e17281e08871f421.jpg

More to come soon!

Last edited:

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Great news!! The leopard wrasse finally has come out of the sand after resting for 24 hours straight. I fed the tank right away and he was eating well!

1dbae726c15d5d8256a08060eeab30e2.jpg

Video:

Leopard wrasse day 2

Edit: after being out for only an hour or less, the wrasse has already buried itself again. At least I got it to eat while out.

Last edited: