• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Etmanning's 90g Build

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Great news!! The leopard wrasse finally has come out of the sand after resting for 24 hours straight. I fed the tank right away and he was eating well!

1dbae726c15d5d8256a08060eeab30e2.jpg

Video:

Leopard wrasse day 2

Edit: after being out for only an hour or less, the wrasse has already buried itself again. At least I got it to eat while out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful fish!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Beautiful fish!

Thank you! He has been coming out more each day. From about 1-4 today he was exploring the tank and ate well (I've been feeding whenever he is out)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Testing day!

Temp 78.2
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
ALK 8.0
Ca 400
Mag 1300

Took a bunch of photos while I was at it.

Blasto from POTO auction last week, already growing well—>
17380c067f1eb39a470ee71231db0099.jpg

My clown and a good view of all my SPS—>
d052fa14cc1841a282539cb7ca862d9e.jpg

Yellow coris wrasse—>
aaf696e131cfb410fa58c82d1bb787df.jpg

Coral beauty, photo is kinda blurry but it’s the best one I could get of him, he’s quite fast. —>
fd6de2bcb7fb45213ca067f64d06fba5.jpg

The new leopard wrasse, still pretty shy but eating well and out from 12:00-5:00 or so every day—>
5299570701e4853ad9bba3ddc895c1bc.jpg

Another pic with both wrasses—>
0ca5aa974695fd58c1a8fab3ea9bb087.jpg

Wrasse + Tang party!—>
dff47184c12a2dd90aaf8beb526a4b66.jpg

Kole tang, really has colored up since I got him—>

268847ca9ade96ea4544a57bdf9e3d48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Just woke up to the smell of burning plastic throughout the house, coming from the tank. Just so happens that the power went out and my overflow took a while to start back up, allowing a little bit of water to spill out the front of the DT. this water ran down my stand and completely fried my reefkeeper. Something was seriously on fire, there's smoke and plastic everywhere. Pics to come tomorrow. I'm just glad that the fire never took off because it could have been seriously bad. Fun times.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Just woke up to the smell of burning plastic throughout the house, coming from the tank. Just so happens that the power went out and my overflow took a while to start back up, allowing a little bit of water to spill out the front of the DT. this water ran down my stand and completely fried my reefkeeper. Something was seriously on fire, there's smoke and plastic everywhere. Pics to come tomorrow. I'm just glad that the fire never took off because it could have been seriously bad. Fun times.

That's some scary stuff!

When I had a hang on the back overflow. I mounted a float switch on the rim of the tank that would shut my return pump off if the water level got to close to the top of the tank.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member

Thank goodness you caught it in time bud.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
@etmanning1 I'm glad to hear that this ended safely. It sounds like you have an overflow that runs over the edge of your tank. Some advice from a guy who ran a DIY version of this type of overflow for 10 or more years. Go buy an aqua lifter, drill a hole in the top of the overflow, and plumb it in. Run it 24/7, and replace every couple years. When the power comes on, it will create the siphon quickly and get you overflow running. It’s cheap insurance for an over the top overflow.

If you’re not running this type of overflow, well nevermind then. :)

Regardless, you need to periodically do a power out simulation to see how the tank will react when the power comes back on....

Dave

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I am indeed running a U-tube siphon type overflow. I've tested before and it has never had trouble starting back up after power was off. I obviously did not see exactly what happened so I'm not sure what caused the water to overflow but I did just order an aqualifter pump just in case. The only issue now is that since the controller is trashed, the tank is running off of power strips and timers until I can save up enough for a replacement :/.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This is also the reason I try and keep nothing underneath the tank. Separate cabinet is cheap and safer in my opinion