• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Her 20 (pics)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The clam has been doing great, he moved around a bit but has fully attatched to an empty scallop shell. The hermit crabs use him as a jungle gym which annoys it every now and again, but he is open and looks great.

mnat said:
Sorry, Hawkeye should have looked back and seen who made the post. I confuse all of you gods who walk among us mortal reef keepers in these threads. ;)

LMAO....until you see my excuse of a reef tank - you should not be calling me a god ;)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We are having a bad two weeks.... We lost the squammie last week to a blue leg hermit crab that i found INSIDE of it, eating it from the inside out, and then we lost the my favorite fish, the flame on Sunday.
I am not sure what happened, we noticed a gouge on his side on sunday evening, and by yesterday morning he was no longer. I did not think there were any preditors in the tank, but something got him or stung him.
All of the water peramitors checked out well, nitrates and nitrites undetectable, no phosphates detectable, calcium, stronium levels good... The other fishies look great- we moved the picaso's to the 30g over the weekend, but the hawk and the gobies appear to be healthy, and the coral frags are growing. I don't know what went wrong with the flame.
RIP flame angel :(

how did the flame angel hold up in the 20? thought min tank requirement was 30?

i'm looking forward to a flame angel as teh primary resident for a tank so i'd like to see how it does in a smaller tank. hard to find a used big cube.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We had always intended on moving the flame to a bigger tank and the 20g was well established so we thought we would be OK. It was really weird because for 4 months the flame was happy. He took mysis daily and loved it. We left sheets of nori in there every now and again and he was happily picking away at the live rock. Water condidtions were great, we did weekly water changes and we did not lose one other fish in that tank. I would not recommend a flame for a 20g, but obviously this is a case of do as I say not as I do. They are beautiful fish.

For now we are just going to go with the 3 fish that are in there (long nosed hawk, 2 cleaner gobies) and see how things go. However, if I know us we will see a fish fall in love with it and buy it.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
New pic of friends

bestfriends.jpg

up late posting pics eh? kewl...

Stupid question but that's a hawkfish right? i thought they eat whatever invert they can fit in their mouth?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Yes it is a hawkfish. I know they are supposed to go after shrimp. So far so good and he has been in there about 3-4 months. It probably helps that both cleaner shrimp are bigger than the fish. We are taking the shrimp out anyway until we catch the mantis that is stalking the tank.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Some updates on the 20g. We have not caught the mantis even though we pulled everything out. We have not seen him either so who knows. We added a small CPR fuge on the back as well as an AquaC Remora skimmer. We also added our first piece of SPS so we will see how that goes under the T5s. We also added a blasto and a flamback angel. We did not QT the angel and sure enough got an ich outbreak. We noticed it right away and upped the amount of garlic and selcon we added to the food and also overfed a bit, considering we have the skimmer. We lost one goby but the ich is gone. In fact we added two new neon cleaner gobies that are beautiful. Here is a pic of the flameback and a FTS. I had a great pic of the blasto, but it was deleted. I will add it soon.

20fts.jpg

flameback.jpg

for anyone who has been following along, the Stretch Armstrong Paly on the right side is now the cluster of palys on the right side... and has its superhero attibutes

"Her" tank is looking great!

Time to update the name on this thread and make it more personal. ;)

Great seeing you folks today at the anniversary sale. ;D

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
blange3 said:
"Her" tank is looking great!

Time to update the name on this thread and make it more personal. ;)

Hey Bill, your concern sould be resolved in about a month. Under legal advisement, I do believe it will be changed to "Our 20."

The only bad omen is that their wedding conflicts with MACNA. Having been married for 30 years.........I'll be at MACNA with my lovely bride!

Oh, and HER 20 is very nice....must be the woman's touch!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks guys.
Bill, it was great to see you as well. We will be at MACNA, wouldn't miss if for the world.
I usually refrain from unleashing the legalease on those I like.... aka you guys. However, if you really feel you need to know my thoughts on the naming of "Her 20", here it is:
Whereforeto I have created and founded a small nano reef aquarium, the pictures of which are attached infra, the undersigned herefore demands that it be properly renamed "NikkiT's 20g tank".
wherefore, for the reasons stated herein, Plaintiff respectuflly requests the relief stated herein."

How is that guys? :)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mnat said:
Thanks guys.
Bill, it was great to see you as well. We will be at MACNA, wouldn't miss if for the world.
I usually refrain from unleashing the legalease on those I like.... aka you guys. However, if you really feel you need to know my thoughts on the naming of "Her 20", here it is:
Whereforeto I have created and founded a small nano reef aquarium, the pictures of which are attached infra, the undersigned herefore demands that it be properly renamed "NikkiT's 20g tank".
wherefore, for the reasons stated herein, Plaintiff respectuflly requests the relief stated herein."

How is that guys? :)

OMG, She's rubbing off on you! All you have to add is "Any further attempts to coerce a renaming event shall result in a revocation of privileges without restitution for losses incurred!"

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That was her answering using my name, even after being together over 5 years I could not put something like that together. Even if I finished the bottle of wine we are working on, I could not come up with that.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
After sitting through pre caena from 8 am to 5 pm today I am ready for anything at all.

C'mon John, just because you've learned my tricks does not mean you need to tell everyone else :)
and the saving clause is:
"This Agreement is the entire agreement and superceeds all prior agreements between the parties. This contract will be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the state of New Jersey without reference to its conflicts of laws provisions. Any disputes arising out of this agreement (including the aforementioned nomenclature of this thread) will be decided in the county of Monmouth, state of New Jersey."
Ok, I've bored everyone enough to convince you all (hopefully) that I am the aforenamed Plaintiff the fiancee of the purported "her", whose thread was wrongly misnamed.
:)