• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

It has arrived.............. OMG, this is scary

Wendy , I'm glad your sticking around........your tank is so inspiring that it helped me make the decision to go with all T5.....i could only hope that the new one will look as nice as yours.

good luck and welcome home.............AL

Thank you very much Darren, Greg, Albie & Bill. :)

So I took a bunch of pictures this afternoon, but before I share them, I need to tell you that I am NOT keeping a sterile tank. What I mean by that is that I do get some cyano, bubble algae, and the occasional patch of hair algae in a small place on the return pipe. Nothing major, and I do keep on top of it - at least I try.

I used to be majorly annoyed about allowing natural sunlight penetrating my tank, but recently I found that during the few hours in the afternoon I actually LOVE how everything glows ..... and even shimmers. ;D The corals don't seem to mind a bit either. All the pictures that will follow now were taken WHILE natural sunlight was penetrating the tank, along with all my lights on.

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

Oh, and my offer stands. Anyone who wants to see my baby, feel free to stop by and check it out. :) Thanks for all your support.

john90009

NJRC Member
jeeeze everything doubled since last time iv seen it- everything looks happy and glowing like crazy.i like the half hour that my tank sees the sunlight and i get alittle shimmer on the bottom just wish the whole tank shimmered lol : )

john90009

NJRC Member
i think ya need a ton of emerald crabs in there- i love the look of like dirty rocks tho covered in different colored coralines and browns and greens- for some reason my rocks like to say 100% clean : /

john90009 said:
i think ya need a ton of emerald crabs in there-

??? ??? ???

Wendy - you don't need anything to do anything but get a time capsule to track and log one of the most beautiful tanks ever.

TOT YEAR if we had one.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
WOW Wendy, I remember when your baby was just a DIY stand, where you left us hanging because you made a wrong cut and had to go get more lumber ;D Your baby is maturing into a thing of beauty!

Question, How long have you run your T5's before replacing them? Also, Did you do anything to acclimate the tank to the new bulbs or do you just slap them in and move on with life!? Time to change mine and I'm not sure how I should.

Taz

Thanks guys. :)

John, feel free to stop by. You know the way. Forget about the emerald crabs. I have some, but I've also gotten rid of a few that had their "claws" into stuff they shouldn't have.

Phil, you made me blush. Thanks so much.

Ricky, that's my ORA Red Planet with the sun shining right on it.

Taz, yes, I remember that stupid mistake I made with the wrong cut. LOL. I replaced ALL my bulbs 15 months after turning them on for the first time. I won't wait that long again. I think 12 months is the limit. My tank looked SO much brighter once I slapped all new bulbs on there - and I stayed with the exact same combo. No ill effect on any corals whatsoever.

Wendy Welcome back,we sure would of missed ya!! By the way as always yr tank looks fantastic...glad to see Im not the only one who lets there tank sunbathe ;D

Today some friends of mine came by. We did some "trades". ;D I'll post pictures tomorrow, I promise.

But more importantly, my friends brought a lumen meter (????)/light meter....whatever the device is called that measures the lumens. :-[ Please do ignore my ignorance about the correct name, it just was never important enough for me to pay much attention to these things.

Here are the readings (to those who know what they mean and what to do with them ;) )

Bottom of the tank...with 1/4" sandbed on bottom 9,750 lumens
Middle of the tank 12,000 lumens
2/3rd up 18,000 lumens
Top...6" below lights, still in water 22,300 lumens

...pictures of new additions to follow tomorrow. ;D

Here are some more pictures.

The first 2 were taken under the Blues only.

Another one of my brains (blurry...sorry)
IMG_4099.jpg

FTS under Blues
IMG_4100.jpg

And now the new additions under all lights:

IMG_4102.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

FTS with all lights
IMG_4107.jpg