• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My first build thread (29g Biocube)

Update 11/14

Getting ready for the frag swap. Its also kyles birthday this weekend (tomorrow exactly). I have to let go of a few things to make room. I really underestimated the amount of space I needed and im worried about putting them on the rocks.

Heres a rare top down picture ( even with a stepstool I cant get over the tank. I actually stand on the salt bucket ):
ypy5u4e7.jpg

I cleaned up the zoas with a painters brush to stimulate the flesh. Does anyone have any other tricks they do to their zoas to keep them healthy?

Oh ! Ive been feeding the tank reef chili! I got it during the BRS group buy and my torch and frogspawn love it. Im not sure if its taken to the zoas, but my fish nibble at the bigger pieces, too. Im hoping to do a comparison shot by january to evaluate the growth. The frogspawn is starting to split.

Oh ! Thanks to lps1212 he made me a frag pack and now im the owner of some electric oompa ooompas ! They are essentially a gift for Kyle for his birthday, and theyll be growing in his tank til it gets enough to pop into mine. Theres a bunch of other ones too, but ill take pictures of those later.

So you eluded to more space, when is the upgrade coming? Nice zoas, good collection going, time to start a zoa garden.

So you eluded to more space, when is the upgrade coming? Nice zoas, good collection going, time to start a zoa garden.

Hahaha this 29g is already hard enough to maintain. Its less like a garden and its gonna end up being mountains. Im losing alot of estate towards the bottom because I dont want to put zoas on the building rocks.
Kyle hasnt told me when were stopping by yet, im gonna be eyeing up your zoa placement !

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, you won a pair of clowns Jing? That's awesome! I would suggest picking a pair they already have mated as opposed to picking two random singles. At least that way you know those two will get along and will be one less worry about aggression in the tank.

Be careful with the reef chilli. Those types of powdered coral foods sometimes have a lot of nitrates in them. I'm not saying don't use it at all, just use it occasionally and keep an eye on your water parameters. If you see nitrates spike up, cut back on the chilli.

Wow, you won a pair of clowns Jing? That's awesome! I would suggest picking a pair they already have mated as opposed to picking two random singles. At least that way you know those two will get along and will be one less worry about aggression in the tank.

Be careful with the reef chilli. Those types of powdered coral foods sometimes have a lot of nitrates in them. I'm not saying don't use it at all, just use it occasionally and keep an eye on your water parameters. If you see nitrates spike up, cut back on the chilli.

I did ! I did a few designs for Alpha Aquaculture and got chosen in the drawing after getting through a sort of elimination round. Im not sure if im allowed to choose a bonded pair, but Im gonna call kris this weekend to discuss the options. Maybe its its under the alotted $400 then ill pick it up. Im getting attached to picassos.
Thanks for the tip, I was getting hair algae but its nearly gone after I did some regluing and cleaned off the rocks, zoas, and frag plugs. I was using twice a week, but if it starts to spike ill lay off for a couple weeks and go to one a week.

I never really saw my zoas eat anything. My palys on the other hand, they ate everything!

6296537405_c83779276c_z.jpg

I never see anything grab food besides the magicians up top amd the pink hippos ive seen eat a whole mysis. I cant seem to get the hang of "spot feeding" as it never seems to take.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just a picture of the lucky lucianas from the DVRC swap
ypa3ytem.jpg

Those are really nice Jing. Good score on that one.

As for spot feeding, it helps if you turn off all your pumps first (return and all powerheads) as that will stop the current and make it easier.

Those are really nice Jing. Good score on that one.

As for spot feeding, it helps if you turn off all your pumps first (return and all powerheads) as that will stop the current and make it easier.

Thanks George, ill try that ! I was using the powerhead to let it spread but ill turn it right off afterwards so itll settle.

It really all depends on how fast or slow they grow. I mean I don't want it being weeks before I see it in my own tank Lol but nah I get it and that's fine

If the first baby doesnt show in a month lets cut it? Cause then at least we gave it enough time to really get settled. After that it should be forreal stable and then we dont ahve to worry about the stress on the polyp either.

For what its worth I dont even get to see it in my tank LOL