• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 420 gal Plus reef tank build in m y sunroom

Here is Rob (hockeynut) hard at work finishing cabinetry....another day of finish and they are ready to go in....then I am finally filling the tank.

20150707_095427_resized (1).jpg

The sand is in..... cabinets next..... route the LED cables... the humid controlled exhaust fan in the cabinet top and next week hopefully I am finally filling it up...
MIKEH - WIN_20150708_183850.jpg

Wow amazing progress. On a side note what kinda race team you got?

Thanks Chillwill...cabinets go in this week and filling it up. I race Dodge Vipers... an 800 horse fully prepped road racing car... used to race on Speed Channels Pirelli World Challenge GT series... now in NARRA...

Thanks Chillwill...cabinets go in this week and filling it up. I race Dodge Vipers... an 800 horse fully prepped road racing car... used to race on Speed Channels Pirelli World Challenge GT series... now in NARRA...

Nice do you ever come down to thunderbolt raceway in millville to test n tune the viper?

So what's stocking gonna be in this beast? Lots of fish? Lots of coral? Mixture of both? Once gonna be your prize fish or corol for it?

Nice do you ever come down to thunderbolt raceway in millville to test n tune the viper?

So what's stocking gonna be in this beast? Lots of fish? Lots of coral? Mixture of both? Once gonna be your prize fish or corol for it?

We test and run there every now and then...actually there with NARA for a race at end of August on Thunderbolt.

The tank will be a reef tank with about 60 fish or so...lots of Tangs, Anthias, and others...lots of LPS and SPS mixed reef.

Well here is an update. Tank been doing good. Been running since June. Rob (hockeynut) did a fantastic job on my cabinet work. I have moved over all my corals from my 90 gallon and have 12 fish in the tank. Have 6 yellow tangs, powder blue, 2 hippos tangs, fancy clowns. Another 16 are going thru quarantine including 6 anthrax, several fairy wrasses, 4 purple fire fish, 2 Bengal cardinals and more fancy clowns. plus more corals.
Still have some things to clean up in the sump room but going good. The whole house 20kw backup generator due in this week should be installed in 2 weeks. This has been a long project... over 10 months.... but it was well worth it.
Here is the tank.... post more in a while.
WIN_20150823_083950.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Very nice!!! Looking forward to seeing it grow. Great job on the cabinets rob!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very nice all around.....cabinetry (nice Rob....looks like cherry), tank, and love the rock work....again, very nice!

couple more pics

ghere is a slide out TV in end cabinet and one with the canopy lift...

Thanks everyone....it has been a lot of work...now the hard work begins...getting everything growing
WIN_20150823_144148.jpgWIN_20150823_144121.jpgWIN_20150823_144132.jpg

Just read through the whole thread holy smokes great job!

I love that canopy lift, I'm sitting here like how is he ever going to get up in that thing, BAM lift the lights!

Just read through the whole thread holy smokes great job!

I love that canopy lift, I'm sitting here like how is he ever going to get up in that thing, BAM lift the lights!

Thanks Brando. It was a lot of planning... from my original idea of a sumps room, to then everything under the tank... to back to a sumps room. I was a year in the whole build timeline. Took my time. The canopy lift I saw on YouTube. I then did research and built it at my shop..... being a contractor made it a lot easier. Having all kinds of tools helped. The canopy I made from aluminum.... welded it in frames and powder coated it. Then bolted it together with stainless bolts and locking nuts... all HD. The 2 Firgelli actuators can lift 800 lbs. The center rail just helps keep it all straight. I did it and set it up.... and for 2 months ran it a bunch. Saw I needed some extra bracing before adding the cabinetry.
I feed with just opening the cabinets... but placing corals is easy with the canopy raising almost 2feet. The lights are 8 radon pros on a sliding track I made. They can move sideways or front to back so I have flexibility as the reef grows.
About to make a few changes to my sumps as I am adding a JBJ 1/2 hp chiller and rerouting the twin 57 watt UV for better flow.
The 2 wave 2 pumps flow about 12000 gal per hour back to the DT and the 4 mp-40 giving great flow off back wall. I might be adding a 150 Maxspect Guide vertically at one end to improve flow but have not decided on that yet.that.