• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 90 Gallon Reef setup. - Going to need alot of advice.

Correct you can have a mini cycle, I think best if you move them over slowly. When I was stocking my 45, I followed a rule of 1 fish per month. If you move more, then ensure you can test for ammonia and nitrite/nitrate. The bacteria is in the rock not the water.

I wouldn't worry about it to excess. You have added live sand and live rock. You are moving to a bigger tank so my suggestion would be to move the least aggressive fish first and then the more aggressive fish next. That will help establish boundaries and also give your bacteria time to catch up. Running some carbon will help too.

I have the carbon and gfo reactors running... here is a list of my fish because none seem aggressive at all...
2 false clowns, 1 yellow firefish, 6 blue chromis, 1 Coral Beauty, 1 Six Line Wrasse, 1 Lawnmower Benny and 1 Dwarf White Spotted File Fish. Do any of them need to go in first... I would guess the firefish and the file fish are the only "Shy" ones...

Don't worry your fish are all small. If you decide later to add a bigger fish then you will have given the tank time to mature and build up a bacteria base. If you test and you have any ammonia etc I would add some bacteria in to jumpstart the cycle.

I've added about 20 gallons of my old water from a water change and will add more rock and some old sand... I guess I should be good... wish me luck! !! Lol

this is the order i'd do:
firefish
filefish
chromis
LMB
false clown
coral beauty
six line

You could even argue the chromis go in first to provide the dither fish that the firefish/filefish will be happy to see about.
good luck!

Hey guys... I have a two part question. I am interested in adding a refugium. The problem is my skimmer wont fit in either the 1st or last chamber of my sump... the only chamber it would fit in is the middle where I want to put my Refugium. So part 1 of my question is can I add my Reef Octopus 110 SSS skimmer in the middle chamber mixed in with the refugium? If yes, then do I place a stand or something under it to raise it above the sandbed/Miraclemud? If no, then my part 2. I was looking at the CPR AquaFuge2 Hang-On Refugium - Large... do you think that HOB refugiums are worth it and the size is 19" L x 4.5" W x 12", Water Capacity: 3.60 Gallons... will this size make a difference in a 90 gallon reef with a 25 gallon sump?

Hey guys... I have a two part question. I am interested in adding a refugium. The problem is my skimmer wont fit in either the 1st or last chamber of my sump... the only chamber it would fit in is the middle where I want to put my Refugium. So part 1 of my question is can I add my Reef Octopus 110 SSS skimmer in the middle chamber mixed in with the refugium? If yes, then do I place a stand or something under it to raise it above the sandbed/Miraclemud? If no, then my part 2. I was looking at the CPR AquaFuge2 Hang-On Refugium - Large... do you think that HOB refugiums are worth it and the size is 19" L x 4.5" W x 12", Water Capacity: 3.60 Gallons... will this size make a difference in a 90 gallon reef with a 25 gallon sump?
You could put the refugium in one end or the other instead of the middle. Go refugium, skimmer, then return pump.

Can't... no space in 1st or 3rd chamber... middle would be the only choice and my skimmer doesnt even fit in there. I'll just have to go CPR large hob refugium if I can't put skimmer in the same area as the refugium... I hope it's big enough for my 90gal... thinking 4 inch sand, live rock rubble and some miracle mud. .. and chaeto... think it's going to be beneficial enough to merit the cost?

Hey guys.... well I did it... I upgraded to my 90... NO CASUALTIES!!!! I've attached some pics...and as usual I have some questions....
f44da0ea0685790ce4ca9194a9dca544.jpg
5e0342cb95ebd4d5eb5b707da8965bcc.jpg
71d9613c0b6bd27a940edd5d9d7a5066.jpg
1401fb6b5a6342c290d969a805139486.jpg

I showed the pics to my lfs and they told me the rwd ones are like mini feather dusters and the green bubbles are good macro algae and my Emerald Crabs would make short work of them.

Setup a separate refugium that is connected to my sump... ordered live sand and chaeto. .. picking up a clamp on light with a 6.5k bulb running opposite light cycle... oh and ordered cope pods and amphipods...just to Jumpstart it...

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Fred, typically not good with pictures, but that algae looks to be grape caulerpa. If you have fish that eats it, it is just fine. Otherwise, keep an eye on it so it doesn't take over your tank.