• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oh no he didn't, oh yes he did 180 gal build

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Ao started carrying the dr gs medicated fish eggs. I highly recommend them.

They will be placed in my 55g QT to get them eating/adjusted and I'll observe them for a minimum 2 weeks before moving to my display.

I think the minimum recommendation on QT is 4 weeks. Anything shorter you might not catch anything in the incubation period (I think that is what it's called).

I think the minimum recommendation on QT is 4 weeks. Anything shorter you might not catch anything in the incubation period (I think that is what it's called).

I agree, but Diver's Den fish are already QT'd for 4-6 weeks before being sold.

I have had really great luck with everything from them as well!

Ao started carrying the dr gs medicated fish eggs. I highly recommend them.

That is good to hear, I like Dr Gs items and will stop by to pick some up. I interviewed for a promotion at work today and if I get it the office is only 6 minutes from AO :).

You're right 4 weeks is recommended, I will monitor minimum 2 weeks and then possibly an additional 2 weeks. DD is pretty good quality though.

Not looking to start a debate on QT, but my opinion is why take the chance for 2 weeks longer? After reading the website (which sounds great and I'll probably purchase from them), it doesn't seem as they have a dedicated water column for each tank. I don't know how diseases transfer but to me this is the only 100% way to be sure. While you may argue that even an additional 2 weeks is no guarantee, its more widely accepted that you'll see signs within 4 weeks. It's 2 weeks over the span of a fish's life which can be 4+ years in your tank. If I remember correctly your last tank got infected and wiped most of your fish out, why chance it?

Not looking to start a debate on QT, but my opinion is why take the chance for 2 weeks longer? After reading the website (which sounds great and I'll probably purchase from them), it doesn't seem as they have a dedicated water column for each tank. I don't know how diseases transfer but to me this is the only 100% way to be sure. While you may argue that even an additional 2 weeks is no guarantee, its more widely accepted that you'll see signs within 4 weeks. It's 2 weeks over the span of a fish's life which can be 4+ years in your tank. If I remember correctly your last tank got infected and wiped most of your fish out, why chance it?

You are right.

well I just got home and found my powder blue dead in my QT and my hippo is laying on its side. idk if it was due to the cold or what, but I'm really pissed!

Sorry to hear. Do you have good water circulation? What is the temp of the tank?

I have a marineland hob filter that does i believe 500 gph, and a koralia that does 1200 gph. 2 x 250 heaters keeping tank at 78F.

DD refunded me the $150, just checked parms on the QT and they're all fine as far as ammonia, trites, trates 0. Im mixing up 25g of water to do a 10g water change tmrw.

Brandon, always saddened when I see these kinds of posts. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you, I'm very sad because I lost so many fish last time around and this time around I am trying to do everything right.

I had the QT media in my sump for like 2 months, had temperature matched, salinity matched, ph matched, floated bags to temp acclimate them, etc.

I am glad DD has such good customer service though. The rep advised to wait a week or two before reordering a pbt to see how the hippo is doing. I almost jumped the gun and would've ordered a new one tonight if she didn't recommend it. Time to pour some out for my homie :(.

Thank you, I'm very sad because I lost so many fish last time around and this time around I am trying to do everything right.

I had the QT media in my sump for like 2 months, had temperature matched, salinity matched, ph matched, floated bags to temp acclimate them, etc.

I am glad DD has such good customer service though. The rep advised to wait a week or two before reordering a pbt to see how the hippo is doing. I almost jumped the gun and would've ordered a new one tonight if she didn't recommend it. Time to pour some out for my homie :(.
Brandon sorry you lost a fish, how is the hippo doing? On the bright side your fish husbandry is 10X better than in the past.

I have a purple tang in QT, going to move over probably in a week or two. Battling cyano right now, otherwise everything looks good, KNOCK ON WOOD!

Tank before Red Slime remover
[video=youtube;5kHKP4WPP8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kHKP4WPP8E[/video]

Tank after Red Slime remover
[video=youtube;1V3QpFEADuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V3QpFEADuQ[/video]

Sad to report that I lost my hippo tang, found him stuck between rocks. Also lost 2 of my anthias :/.

I've ordered a nextreef monster dual reactor to place in sump. Also giving the skimmer a nice vinegar bath.

Monday I plan on painting my QT's 3 sides black since I wanted to do that before, but completely forgot when I Qt'd my last fish.

Once the QT is up and running I plan on ordering a new hippo and maybe a PBT.