• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea 130D AIO

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I have lost...in the past 3-4 months: an ocellaris clownfish, a 6 line wrasse, a firefish, 3 green chromis, yellow watchman goby. the 2 new fish i purchased as my tank was empty so it's not them

i still have that clicking noise in my tank so its either a type of snapping shrimp or a mantis....i have only seen a glimpse of the guy....he nests in that base rock to the far, rear left of the tank right behind that large mushroom

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
and let me be clear...the fish just vanish from the tank...no traces....if these 2 guys don't make it, im going to try some aggressive fish like damsels or something dwarf like a lion....

my thing is...i really, truly do not want to take this down

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Ha years ago I had a 20g tank with some Molly in it. One day I noticed my cat sitting by the tank looking like he was eating something . Granted the tank was too high for him to get on top of it but I went over and looked anyway. I was indeed missing a fish. Only think I can think of is the fish jumped out and my cat at him.

Also check overflow. When I was redoing my sump I found a body of a fish I lost about 7 months prior
i checked the overflow and thats not it either, i had upgraded to this so its unlikely they'd get through it...its that big thing sticking out in the top right of the pic...but i don't know as its becoming very frustrating as i'm spending money on fish that don't last

RSM_40287-2.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have lost...in the past 3-4 months: an ocellaris clownfish, a 6 line wrasse, a firefish, 3 green chromis, yellow watchman goby. the 2 new fish i purchased as my tank was empty so it's not them

i still have that clicking noise in my tank so its either a type of snapping shrimp or a mantis....i have only seen a glimpse of the guy....he nests in that base rock to the far, rear left of the tank right behind that large mushroom

I don't blame you for not wanting to take it down but I'm leaning to that clicking noise might be what is killing your fish. Granted I am not 100% but other than that I don't see why you would be losing fish. Doesn't sound like they can jump out, not in the over flow. Unless they all are playing a nice game of hide-n-seek with you I thinking you have a murder in your tank lol.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was not aware you had a Mantis shrimp......he's the guilty one....a real fish killer. You're not finding the bodies because after he blasts them with his extremely powerful click, he grabs the fish, drags it into his lair, and eats it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Marcus, I have an X-Terminator Shrimp trap. However, I got this is a box of stuff I bought and could never figure out how it worked. It looks like the door should snap shut fast, but it doesn't . I don't know if it's broken or missing a part or I'm just too dumb to figure it out. You're welcome to have it to see if you can figure it out. Otherwise, Premium Aquatics sells them for $13......and I just checked Amazon and they have it for $14.

EDIT TO ADD:

I just read enough to figure out mine is missing a spring. I have no idea were it would go, but it should have a spring with it....and it doesn't. In the process I found links to bottle traps for mantis....and I believe that's the route you are taking. I've had success with bottle traps for fish, so I've got to believe you'll be OK with the shrimp. Best of luck....you've got to get that killer out...they do get big!

Last edited:

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Adding supplemental lighting

As the title states, this us what I am thinking about doing. I have this fixture what has been lying around in my basement for some time now.

My kessil fixture is doing great but with it being mounted so close to the waters surface, it's causing shadowing as the light is in a cone pattern (^) So I was thinking about maybe adding this to the hood as a supplement for my dark spots.

Good idea or bad idea? I have never used these fixtures this close to the water line so i don't know what to expect.

I would need to separate it from its black housing and only use the "white" part. Would need to rewire to a plug (would need info on doing that too if possible) 20161229_114824.jpg 20161229_115546.jpg 20161229_114858.jpg 20161229_115602.jpg 20161229_114924.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Marcus, I have an X-Terminator Shrimp trap. However, I got this is a box of stuff I bought and could never figure out how it worked. It looks like the door should snap shut fast, but it doesn't . I don't know if it's broken or missing a part or I'm just too dumb to figure it out. You're welcome to have it to see if you can figure it out. Otherwise, Premium Aquatics sells them for $13......and I just checked Amazon and they have it for $14.

EDIT TO ADD:

I just read enough to figure out mine is missing a spring. I have no idea were it would go, but it should have a spring with it....and it doesn't. In the process I found links to bottle traps for mantis....and I believe that's the route you are taking. I've had success with bottle traps for fish, so I've got to believe you'll be OK with the shrimp. Best of luck....you've got to get that killer out...they do get big!
I also ordered this btw, I'm waiting for it to come in

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
current filtration is:
algae scrubber
coarse sponge
med. sponge
filter floss
chem-pure
tunze 9001 skimmer