• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

scuba diving

Thanks Phil, I'm over in Burlington, not to far from Cherry Hill and Trenton. Don't know exactly where Mainland HS is, but it sounds like it's down the shore somewhere.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, its down by th shore near Pleastantville.

If we can find a pool that we can rent for 3 hours for 8 classes in the southern center of the state, I can get the dive shop I teach with to load the equipment and come to us, then the cost would be quite small in comparison to shop based courses. For the shop to drive the equipment it has to be no further than 1 hour from Egg Harbor Twp. I live in Paulsboro, 10 minutes from Philly and make EHT in 45 minutes from my house, so there is lots of ptential places for a "south" course (based on finding a pool)

-Phil

What requirements are there pool wise Phil? Any particular depth needed?

I'd assume most YMCA pools would be ok to use correct?

Anyone have a YMCA membership in the area?

Carlo

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It needs to have a deep end that is at LEAST 9' deep, 12' foot is better. Classes are based on 3 hours, 1 hour of lecture and 1 1/2 hours in the pool and another 1/2 for equipment setup and breakdown.

Most YMCA pools have them, but I have found it difficult to schedule time in those type of pools as there can't be anyone in the water when we have the pool sessions. Swimmers and divers don't mix, and most pools won't do that.

I have had **some** luck getting pools on Sunday evenings like 5-8PM but that assume the facility is open on those hours.

So for the pool "rental" we need to be able to book 2 hours of pure pool time with a room we can use for the hour class or 3 hours pool time correct?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
cayars said:
So for the pool "rental" we need to be able to book 2 hours of pure pool time with a room we can use for the hour class or 3 hours pool time correct?

Correct, only 2 hours of pool time, and 1 hour of classroom.

-Phil

Can you tell me what the minimum age is to get your certification. If there is a class somewhere between philly and AC on the weekends I could get 2 maybe 3 people.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Depends on the Certifying Agency, but generally its 12. From 12-16 they get a junior Certification, at 16 1/2, it can be converted into a full certification by the original instructor.

Some of my BEST wreck divers were 16 year olds. They seem to be very good at tieing in anchors, get anchors untangled, and going for that nice long surface swim when a bag comes up way out there. ::)

-Phil

Got my original certification at Aquatech in Maple Shade and my pool dives at Burlington County College. Went to Dutch Springs in Bethlehem, PA. I think we did 6 weeks of 2 hour class room and 2 hour pool each week. Then 5 dives up at Dutch Springs.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
bump1.gif

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice, I guess it's gonna be that time again soon! We really have to do a group dive at Dutch Springs (I think that's where Phil teaches) or something this year.

So, who are the divers around here?

Hm, my diveshop and the others I know in Maine let you take refresher courses for free, using their resources any time. They told me that in a way that made it seem like most shops do that. I would drive back up to NH and take up the offer instead of finding one around here, esp. since I already know and trust them.

Any one else have this option?? Maybe call up your old dive shop if it's plausible?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
tunicata said:
Hm, my diveshop and the others I know in Maine let you take refresher courses for free, using their resources any time. They told me that in a way that made it seem like most shops do that. I would drive back up to NH and take up the offer instead of finding one around here, esp. since I already know and trust them.

Any one else have this option?? Maybe call up your old dive shop if it's plausible?

That is pretty standard for most dive shops. If you take a course with them, or are a regular diver, the will usually let you site in on a class or jump in the pool. Some charge a minor fee just to cover air, etc.

I've been a certified open water diver for years--but with kids coming along, then staying and growing up, then college my diving was limited. i did a lobster night dive once in belmar--that was different. the dive shop i went to unfortunately is no longer around, the reason being, the dive shop owner had his friend blow his brains out---
but i surely would be up for a refresher course with someone that's already been thru a refresher course...i do have a 20x40 built in pool--
when i started my first salt water 55 gal tank, i collected ( seined ) for fish in belmar---small world
that's the kind of tank I'm working on now---a " real " salt water tank
Steve

Dalia (daughter) and I were certified last summer - and want to start diving ASAP Dutch Springs, Manasquan, Point Pleasant - anywhere.

We'd also be interested in Advanced OW classes or any specialtiy classes...

Eric

NAUI Certified in college, haven't done anything but snorkelling in 15 years. Probably like to take a refresher course at some point.

Michelle:

I'm going to Beneath the Sea too. It's the 3/28 to 3/30 - I don't think March has 35 days this year :)

see you there

Eric