• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

scuba diving

Poconofishy, now with C-card! Definite hope to do some diving this year! Anyone going to the Beneath the Sea Scuba Show at the Meadowlands 3/23-3/35?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I presume that means both fishies got their cards? You'll have to start a thread and tell us all about your journey. Congrats.

Oh! What a journey! 8)
Ticket to Hawaii $500, Dive lessons $500, Thinking and breathing at the same time ...priceless! ;)
Yeah.... ahhh..., no, Poconofishy singular. :(
I'll let you guess which one got a little freaked out... :eek:
I'll give you a hint, not the one taking care of the fish! ::)
Maybe plural with more practice... :)

Hey i am new to the club but i would love to come next time!

I have 3 sein nets i can bring.

My first one i had when i was little its only about 5 feet long and a pair of 5year olds can use it.

My next one is full of holes but is 15ft

My new one is 20ft.

One large cast net.

some large fish and crab hand nets.

Small hand nets

I also have some "dive sticks" blunt metal rods set in wood used to fush fish and crabs out of the sand and rocks.

More sets of short and long fins then you can count.

Buckets........so many buckets.

And i can cook lunch.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like we're taking over the whole dive spot this year. Maybe a few BBQ grills?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
FWIW guy/gals...

I am a wreck divemaster and assistant scuba instructor, so if there is any "tech" questions you need answered, just yell...

-Phil

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What boat/shop do you dive out of, Phil? Can you run a dive instruction class?

RedStrat, last year we dove out of the Belmar boat basin. It was fun, though certainly not the most interesting dive I've ever done. Diving with the club members made it a blast, no matter.

Mike, grilling lunch sounds like a great idea.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I teach and divemaster for Atlantic Divers, and also act as divemaster on a few Carnival Cruises. It doesn't make any money, but its a blast and gets my first love of social dinners and drinks with friends.

I can either guide towards some schedule classes through Atlantic divers, or if we can get 7 or more interested people, we can work a deal with the dive shop for a custom class either at a pool in the area where you want it, or as an adjunct to some of the classes that are run.

For those that aren't interested in Jersey Wrecking, they can take the classes and get a referal for their Open Water Diving Exams in Florida or other places.

NJ has the distinction of having more diveable wrecks off the coast then anywhere else in the world. (yes, it is true) and Jersey Wreck diving as set the standard for tech equipment. I have lots of portholes and things we have collected over the years.

-Phil

Let me know if you can organize a group class and I will be there. I grew up in FL and maybe I can help with anything in FL. I have a lot of great friends that own resorts down there in north FL.

As long as you know your way around the wrecks really good! I just saw a special with one guy that did not know his way around one and got stuck in the ship and ran out of air!

C

concept3

sign me up- always wanted to go dive & would love to be certified so I can finally spearfish- put some of my pacific islander blood to the test LOL

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would be up for a refresher course to practice skills. It's been awhile since I've been diving....

You really can't count those 12' Belmar dives! lol

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Best way to handle a refresher is just sit on the basic classes. Much as changed in technology in the last 5 years and some training ideas. (IE, we don't teach budy breathing anymore, use alternate air sources, etc)Most people have forgotten how to do dive tables with the advent of dive computers, but it still an important skill to know - especially to make sure your computer isn't lying to you.

-Phil

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Atlantic Divers usually uses the Pool at MainLand High School, but if get a group together and we can make some reasonaable terms with a public pool that has a 10' deep end, then anything is possible.

Courses themselves are not that expensive - Usually around $250 and that includes lectures, book and pool sessions with 1 instructor and 2 assistant instructors, so there is lots of one on one time. Usually 8 sessions. The extra's that the class member is responsible for is Scuba quality, Mask, fin and snorkel (Sort of like Reef equipment, you get what you pay for.... around $150, but you will have it for years to come)

-Phil

I was NAUI certified about 6 years ago but haven't dove much since. I definetly could use a refresher. Anybody down in south jersey interested?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Salty.... if you are anywhere near MainLand High School, Atlantic Divers has a course running there right now. As a diver certified that just wants a refresher, they only charge $150 to cover the scuba class equipment.

I do not work for the shop, so I can't speak for them. Give Atlantic Divers a call at 609-641-7722, you can tell them Phil sent you. (you might get a another break).

-Phil