• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

scuba diving

MAVL666 said:
Don't scuba just snorkel. I'm up for seining. Let me know. I never really did it but have seen people at the beach doing it.

Mark

Ditto. I've always been curious... but I can't scuba dive at all. If a group from here goes out, you and I can hang out in the (relative) shallows together, kay?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Start soon and you'll be ready by the time we head out (UDI in Toms River & Shore Scuba in Brick are two shops that come highly recommended for dive certification)!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
arrow_up.gif

I did not read all 16 pages so if im repeating someone, sorry! Easiest way to catch fish is with a slurp gun. I use one regularly in Florida and it is very safe to the fish compared to nets. Basicly it looks like a big syringe with a wide mouth. You swim up behind the fish and pull the plunger back. It "slurps" the fish into the gun then you inject the fish into some sort of container, usually a bait bucket.

As far as legality, in Florida as long as you have a fishing license, you can capture so many of a paticular species per day. (5 angels, 5 damsels, 10 blue legs, etc) This includes crabs, snails and SOFTIES!. All LPS/SPS is protected through out the whole state and poses hefty fine including up to a few years in jail if caught with LPS/SPS.

Interesting tidbit. Fish and Game consider Zoas to be anenomies. Anything with over 8 tenticles are anenomies. So they look at the "petals" of the polyp and say "thats an anenomie" You are allowed up to 8 zoos per day. Zoo is up to roughly 50 heads eyeballed. So on a good day, you can collect 400 heads of Zoas!! Needless to say, most stores do not carry a lot of Zoas, most people just go dive for them. Shoot, Zoas grow on the rocks of the jetties at all of the inlets where you can just wade out to them maybe waist in the water and just peel them off the rocks!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Start Peeling and bring a BIG box back to NJ with you! Of course, there's probably some law about transporting livestock across state lines without a license. Rats!

You're right about the slurp guns. We used them last year and got a couple of butterfly's. It's definitely easy to use.

Hopefully you'll be joining us on our next dive!

Wow, I would love to get in on this, but I'm definitely not a diver! You guys/gals will have to let me know what you plan on bringing in. Maybe I can show up and be a dedicated grill/lunch server or something! LOL! ;D

I'm with Matt.... not one for the actual water (especiallly since I'd have my 3 yr old with me) but I'd love to come out and see what you get... l'll sign up as cookie / drink passer-outer LOL

Well, if I have the chance to go out on a dive trip, I have a 3 man 3rd lung. If someone has a sea worthy boat, we got it made for people without a dive license!

I wish I could bring up mats of Zoas :eek:). Unfortunately, im taking 3-4 days to drive up there and by then, all I would have left is a bucket of slime :eek:(

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Priority mail'em to me! I'll hold them in the club stock tank for ya (only taking bits and pieces for club raffles)!

;D

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm lovin' the fact that we're planning summer dive trips in February! I'm sure we'll be doing a few of them of this year. When we did this last year there was a lot for non-divers to do too. This year will probably be more of the same.

Hmm, you know I just might. Im moving in two weeks, If i get a chance to go pull some mats, ill post here and we can connect so I can overnight them to ya! Sorry, no 15 day guarentee on this livestock :eek:(.

JohnS_323 said:
I'm lovin' the fact that we're planning summer dive trips in February! I'm sure we'll be doing a few of them of this year. When we did this last year there was a lot for non-divers to do too. This year will probably be more of the same.

I think it may be wishful thinking that the weather will break sooner rather than later! ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We're expected to be in the 40s/50s next week so the timing would be perfect!

Phyl said:
We're expected to be in the 40s/50s next week so the timing would be perfect!

Nice, I hope so. I tend not to trust the weather guessers though. I read a statistic somewhere that said collectively "weather guessers" across the nation are right less than 7% of the time. Sheesh! If I had a 7% accuracy in my job, I'd be fired! LOL! ;D