• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Start of my new 50b

howze01

NJRC Member
The reason the overflow is offset is because of the stupid center brace! I couldn't get the nut into the overflow box and there was no way to hold it so I could tighten it with the brace in the way. I'm glad I realized that before I cut the hole!!!

The vertical center brace could work also. I have my ATO, heater control, and RKL PC4 module mounted all over the inside back of the stand. I am thinking about moving the ATO and heater to the right side of the stand where I have my SL1 module and MP10 power supply mounted.
Ah! That's right. I remember you saying that now. Guess I'm going to be in the same boat. It's going to make me crazy having that off center though....... I'm going to have to think about that one. I'm glad you discovered it though, I probably wouldn't have thought of it and just drilled my tank.

howze01

NJRC Member
Well, it seems I better get the tank up soon! Finally getting a fish I've been looking for for a loooooong time! Here it is:

3014747628_41b067a56a_o.jpg

Going to get a shrimp for him too but that can wait until the new tank is up. So awesome!!!!!!!

howze01

NJRC Member
That, my friend, is a Flaming Prawn Goby. I've been looking for a cool new Goby to get for the new tank and he just came along. Crossing my fingers that I get him!!!

howze01

NJRC Member
So, just to keep this up to date, I have the new(ish) Bubble Magus NAC 3 skimmer, the Sicce Syncra 5.0 pump is on it's way and I ended up with the 2 MP10s that I am going to pick up next Saturday. Things are starting to take shape!! I think the last big $$ purchase will be the 2 LED units. I think I'm also going to try and get an RKL too. I hate all the power strips and timers I have to worry about. It would be much nicer to just have a couple PC4s hooked up. I think my outlet count is going to drop significantly in the new tank too since I will be able to run everything off the Sicce. It will be so nice to not have 18 pumps running!

howze01

NJRC Member
Yeah, I had read that but that's OK with me. I'm OK with him popping out every once in awhile. He isn't nearly as expensive as I have seen them either so I figured it was worth it. I like my little Gobies. Thanks for the warning though.

We love our gobies too, but we went for months at a time without us seeing more than a 1/16 of an inch flash of a tail of the flamiare prawn- they are the most reclusive fish I have ever had. Panda gobies were easier to find(and all of those were named Waldo because I had trouble finding them in our 2.5g pico).

howze01

NJRC Member
I'm still waiting to get my returns. The whole "let's just buy everything" tactic hasn't worked well for my bank account so I'm going to have to wait a little bit for them as well as the lights. Probably next weekend. Drilling party????

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm still waiting to get my returns. The whole "let's just buy everything" tactic hasn't worked well for my bank account so I'm going to have to wait a little bit for them as well as the lights. Probably next weekend. Drilling party????

I don't think this hobby is ever good for the bank account.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Any idea how thick the glass is on that tank? The 40 was nothing compared to the 65. It took me 2 hours, 3 batteries for the drill and 4 beers to drill the 65.

Knowing the thickness of the glass, we can know what and how many provisions we need. ;) :D

howze01

NJRC Member
It was just barely over 1/4". It's been so long since I have seen a tape measure with inches it took me a minute. Too used to my surveyor's tape with tenths!

I'm going to order the returns tomorrow so hopefully they will be here by the weekend. What's the difference between the flared and round nozzles besides the shape? Either way preferable? I would imagine the flow coming out of them would be different just not sure how.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok, that glass isn't too bad, should go quick like the 40. :D

The round nozzle produces a very narrow stream of flow and the flared produce a much wider flow pattern. Most people, including myself, run the flares.

howze01

NJRC Member
What size is the one you got already? I got the 5.0 because that was the only pump I want to run for reactors or anything else. ATO will need one but that's an easy little pump.