• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Start of my new 50b

I think you should do the background in purple with yellow stripes. Lol

Personally, I like black the best....it's clean looking and blue looks too pet store for me

No black is fine,I agree blue is petsmart looking,but to name just a few-greens,browns..I dunno,guessing after awhile when the coraline algea grows it wouldnt much matter anyhow.

Im all for black as well. True, it wont matter when the coralline grows but while there is none, the black background will hide all of the cables and what not.

howze01

NJRC Member
Tony, Sooooo green to look like algae? Brown to match the diatoms? Maybe dark red to match future cyano outbreaks? Are you saying my tank is doomed to fail? I'm keeping your chalices now.......

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tony, Sooooo green to look like algae? Brown to match the diatoms? Maybe dark red to match future cyano outbreaks? Are you saying my tank is doomed to fail? I'm keeping your chalices now.......

Just go to petsmart and get a coral reef background and stick it on there. :D

Petsmart background will not stick properly.
How about spraying back with whatever coloer using can spray from HD ? I used blue-metallic - it reflects light better.
After a while, your background will be covered in coraline and color of the backwall will not matter.

howze01

NJRC Member
lol. I'm going to get you some of that background for the 65 Brian. If you use it I willl too.

Sooooo, I'm so happy i could cry! Finally received notification that my Sicce shipped! And only after 17 days!!! I'm going to have to go wake Olivier up now! I think he's sleeping in my sump.

I think as far as equipment goes all I have to do is get the AI from the group buy and some plumbing and I'll be set! Once I get the plumbing you're invited over again Brian;)

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Petsmart background will not stick properly.
How about spraying back with whatever coloer using can spray from HD ? I used blue-metallic - it reflects light better.
After a while, your background will be covered in coraline and color of the backwall will not matter.

You have to get the special stuff that sticks the background to the glass and makes it look flawless. It removes the air and decreases refraction or something. Can't remember what it all said, but I was just looking at it the other day at petco when I went to get a 5 gal tank for my ATO. I was going to get a tube of it and try it on the 65. ;)

hahaha too funny...so its agreed-brown,green,blue,black,blue silver,red and sticky special stuff...I think this will be a reallly unique backround..lol

howze01

NJRC Member
Pump is here!!! Now to wake Olivier up! Going to try and get the stand done this weekend and get the tank cleaned up too. Then it's off to HD to get flexi pvc and a few fittings!!

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pump is here!!! Now to wake Olivier up! Going to try and get the stand done this weekend and get the tank cleaned up too. Then it's off to HD to get flexi pvc and a few fittings!!

The race is on!!! I am going to pickup my pump tomorrow. :D

HD doesn't sell flex PVC. I'm actually about to place an order for ultra flexible PVC from M-D.com along with a SCWD and a check valve/union. Wanna get in on the order? We should get free shipping on the combined order.

howze01

NJRC Member
Sounds good! Only problem is that I literally have no idea what all I need.....

Maybe I could just get the tubing? I really have to sit down and figure out how I want everything to work. I would need overflow and return tubing. Is that what you're getting? I'm sure I'm going to need planty of other fittings but I can get them at HD if need be. I will have to measure the stand to see how high it is and how much tubing I will need.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm just getting 6' for the returns and 4' for the drain. The ball valves and fittings I'm getting from BRS, would be nice to get them from the PA group buy, but I can't wait that long. ;)

howze01

NJRC Member
So you're doing 12' total for the returns? Maybe a dumb question, I know.....

I'm sure that it would be more than enough if I do the same. Not sure how you want to work out paying for it. Send me a PM and we can figure something out. Thanks!

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's 6' / 3, tank is 24" tall x 2 returns is 4' and sump to manifold (height of stand) is 2'. And going backwards tank + stand = 4' of drain. There I going doing math again like the meeting. :D I'll PM and we can discuss further.