• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

10g Tank Safe To Drill

horseplay

NJRC Member
I need to drill a hole for 1 inch bulkhead in a 10g tank and my first attemp failed. The glass cracked when it was drilled. Bought another tank and taped the drill area and this time it was perfect. Now I am a little worried that the thin glass of a 10g tank cannot handle the water pressure long term. Has anyone tried this or can offer some thoughts?

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You want to talk about thin glass... I drilled a 2.5G tank once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horseplay

NJRC Member
This really sucks now. Holes were drilled good but cracked the tank when tightening the bulkhead. :mad: And just glue the bulkhead in too.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry about that.

I'm wondering, because the glass is so thin on a 10G, if you use, as example, a piece of plexiglass to act as a washer, if that would help. The idea is that this "washer" would help distribute the pressure from the tightening of the nut and reduce the likelihood of the glass cracking.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Paul - the bulkhead already has a seal on one side but the other side is just plastic. I was careful to tighten then usually but I wasn't thinking this morning. Anyways I lost my confidence in this and will use a 20g instead.