• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

12 to 24 to 60g Reef - looks like I'm out of the nano-stage! Lighting question?

???

Ok, I've outgrown my 12 and 24 Aquapod and setting up a brandy new 60g Reef - what are your collective suggestions, re: lighting for a 48" tank? Yikes, they're pricey!

Leveled the tank yesterday - doing plumbing today. Got a Pro-Clear Pro 75.

Thanks! Here it is empty - will have FishCam pointed toward it to show progress!

cam_6.jpg

a lot of people seem to be using t5 lighting, i'm looking to make the switch from VHO as well. if you are planing on getting corals i would return that pro-clear wet/dry and make a sump out of a regular tank and add some baffles, then use the money you saved and buy a very good skimmer one that is rated much higher than your tank, depending on how many fish you want to keep. maybe something like this: http://www.myreefcreations.com/product_info.php?products_id=166.

i run 4, 48inch icecap t5s and just got 2 more reflectors and another ballast so ill be going up to 6. im very happy with them

Thanks for the quick replies! So I don't "need" the fancy HQI Metal Halide lamps? That's what I have on my nano. But they're pricey ... mind you I haven't check on the T5s yet ... doing research now. Thanks!

well halides are stronger lights but they also have their downfalls, like running hotter, costing more on the monthly bill, harder to get color options... ive never used halides personally but ive used PCs and T5s and i really am happy with the t5s, you can get a different color of the tank by switching out one bulb instead of one expensive bulb, i dont have a chiller.. idk i just feel personally t5s are the way to go, but again thats my opinion

Re: 12 to 24 to 60g Reef - it's looking pretty good!

... well, I may be rushing it. But geez, it looks good right now - hope I can keep it that way! Bought a ton of stuff yesterday. http://www.sandeeland.com/FishCam/ Bought a nice set of lights yesterday too - Lunar Aqualight Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip ...

:p

cam_1.jpg

So what are you planning to keep? I've always wanted to set up a 60g reef... maybe with two pendants, with the tank kinda low so you can see it easy from the top. Good for clams and such. Probably need T5's or Halides for them, though. $ :eek:$

Sandee...you bought PC lights.

While they are cheaper fixtures (than T5 and/or MH) - they require bulb changes more frequently - especially if you keep them on 12 hrs a day (aka normal use). I believe folks change out PC bulbs every 6 months.

PC's aren't bad - they are a little bit of an older technology - like VHO (also nothing wrong with those..I had that on my 55 with no issues).

What are the dimensions of the 60? 48 x 13 x24? I wouldn't put any light needy corals on the sand bed with PC lights.