• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

120 gallon to much weight for floor?

I was thinking of dropping a 120 gal (48x24) in place of my 55, problem is it sits right in the middle of the room pratically. It is up against a wall but there is really nothing under that wall in the basement supporting it.

Im sure there are some here who are doing way worse but I just want to be sure.

The long part of he tank would sit in the same direction the beams are spanning, they are 16" on center and they are 2x10s (measure 9" x 1 1/2" inches) with about a 14' span.

Any engineer types know if this is to much weight for basically two 2x10s it will sit on with a plywood subfloor. Would it deflect to much and cause my stand and tank to rack possibly a leak?

check out this website: http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

Conclusion

Aquariums up to 55 gallons can be placed almost anywhere without much worry at all. Many tanks larger than 55 gallons and no more than 125 gallons will be okay, if they are placed in a good structural location and your floor framing is free from significant defects. For example, a 125 gallon tank, on a wooden stand, placed perpendicular to the joists up against a bearing wall, will often be okay without any additional structural support. If your tank is over 125 gallons, then it is likely that you should consider adding supports under your wood framed floor. Please realize that these are generalities that may or may not apply to your particular situation.

i ran into a similar question with my 210 that will be parallel with the joists and will sit on 2 joists spanning 12'. after reading this entire website i determined that for $100 i could put up supports in my basement and i would be able to sleep at night. so if i were you i would add the supports just so you don't have to worry about it.
after reading this entire website

Don't see why you couldn't put a column in they make temp. "LOLIE" column's so you could remove it if you moved just a thought

Lord Viper said:
Don't see why you couldn't put a column in they make temp. "LOLIE" column's so you could remove it if you moved just a thought

While the use of the basement is in my rental agreement my landlord is very nervious and jumpy.

i would suggest putting it somewhere else where it would be perpendicular to the floor joists and against a load bearing wall

I have my 120 with 40 gallon breeder up against the wall and sometimes when I walk by it I do feel so creaking... I would deffinitely be careful... If it is possible, as mentioned above, I would deff try to get the tank positioned up against a wall just to be safe...

Brian