• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

125 Gallon Flow

Hi all, so with my new tank I need to pickup some new power heads. Was wondering what you guys think the best position of them would be for optimal flow through a 6 foot tank. I already have the tank plumbed so now its just planning out the flow. The 4 arrows drawn are the loc line return from my return pump so thats all I have at the moment. The boxes are the overflows just incase anyone is wondering. Thanks all!

Attachments

• 125.png
    125.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 3
What type of powerheads re you looking at getting? I would recommend either the nero5s or mp40s(preferably the 40s). One in each side and you can program them for different flows and modes through out the day.

Also just remember with your loc line returns not tho have them too low in the water to prevent syphon back in power failure event. I recently got a random flow generator for my return on my frag tank and wow that's a cool piece. I'm thinking about adding them to my main tank returns as well.

What type of powerheads re you looking at getting? I would recommend either the nero5s or mp40s(preferably the 40s). One in each side and you can program them for different flows and modes through out the day.

Also just remember with your loc line returns not tho have them too low in the water to prevent syphon back in power failure event. I recently got a random flow generator for my return on my frag tank and wow that's a cool piece. I'm thinking about adding them to my main tank returns as well.
Well currently I have one mp40 on my old tank so that could be another option to add a 2nd, and yep I already tested the back siphon with loc lines and it looks like I'm good . A little scary how close it comes to overflowing but we are good haha. Thanks for the input, I just wasn't sure if one more mp40 would be enough for a 125 or if I would need additional poweheads

I think the 2 would be plenty. Expecially if you link them with a reeflink to the app, you can really get them synced up nice for a nice reef lagoon or reef crest during the day and a nice tide pool flow at night.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
+ 1 on /not two have them too low in the water to prevent siphon back in power failure event.did this . overflowed tank to downstairs dining room....

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I had a 125 gallon and I had a gyre and 3 apex wav.

the waves did 4K ghp each = 12k + 4K on the gyre 16k ghp random

Personally. The fire flow the better. Of course there is a budget. And you don’t want to blast anything. My recent experience has told me everything seams to improve every time I add more

Personally. The fire flow the better. Of course there is a budget. And you don’t want to blast anything. My recent experience has told me everything seams to improve every time I add more
I agree with this, especially in an sps system. Although I noticed in my tank with "excess" flow that my acros never grew long single branches they then to be more compact tighter groupings within the colony.

I agree with this, especially in an sps system. Although I noticed in my tank with "excess" flow that my acros never grew long single branches they then to be more compact tighter groupings within the colony.
That is interesting. Tells me you can possibly have a little control over growth and shape

I believe it's the way the corals control their microbiome and the way they collect their foods. There was a study on how sps have a different bacteria around their polyps which affect they way they take up nutrients. In a low flow system they're able to reach out further without affecting their biome and food uptake. In a higher flow system they create a tighter growth patterns to protect their systems and to be able to collect and hold nutrients where needed.

Again just a theory I read, and was kinda able to back up with what I've noticed in my own system. Anecdotal sure. But there seemed to be some truth to it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll probabaly just end up getting another mp40 and maybe a tunze too because I have an Amazon gift card lol

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Although they've fallen out a bit with all the new tech out there, I can't recommend Sea-swirls enough.
180 degree rotating pattern driven by your pump of choice. I've got 2 on my back wall pushing in 500gph each to create some chaotic flow.
Don't think I'll ever run another tank without them.
I put 2x 1/2" units on a 100g as supplemental with 2 big Jeabos and 2 MP40s, but 2x 3/4" units with a 2000gph pumpwould have easily done the entire flow job, possibly better.
About 2 years back, the owner offered a NJRC 10% discount after I bought a few from him. Don't think anyone took him up on it.
Look into them and, if interested drop him a line.

Although they've fallen out a bit with all the new tech out there, I can't recommend Sea-swirls enough.
180 degree rotating pattern driven by your pump of choice. I've got 2 on my back wall pushing in 500gph each to create some chaotic flow.
Don't think I'll ever run another tank without them.
I put 2x 1/2" units on a 100g as supplemental with 2 big Jeabos and 2 MP40s, but 2x 3/4" units with a 2000gph pumpwould have easily done the entire flow job, possibly better.
About 2 years back, the owner offered a NJRC 10% discount after I bought a few from him. Don't think anyone took him up on it.
Look into them and, if interested drop him a line.
I was actually looking at them for my next build when I do my big tank I was planning on doing 2 closed loops with flow coming from the top eurobrace but was thinking about using 2 on the front center to change the flow up. Bc I'm gonna have 3/4" glass I wont be able to use powerheads like the nero or the mp40 but the mp60 I feel would be way too strong