• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

125 gallons of nature

That’s my concern with the black box led’s. A lot of them recommend that you hang them 2’ off of the tank for maximum spread, I don’t plan on doing that. That’s why I want the t5’s to help with light distribution.
Well you’re welcome to come get mine ,, free all yours

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Look at this video. They are using $100 lights to light up this tank. It’s a 6ft tank

That’s an awesome looking tank! Those lights are impressive also but too bad they’re not available. Have you had a problem with the bulbs needing to be replaced a after a short amount of time? Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn as much as I can before making a decision. Trying to weigh pros and cons.

That’s an awesome looking tank! Those lights are impressive also but too bad they’re not available. Have you had a problem with the bulbs needing to be replaced a after a short amount of time? Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn as much as I can before making a decision. Trying to weigh pros and cons.
always do your research and there is no such thing as a dumb question only dumb answers

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

I purchased my t5 used and they all came with bulbs. I will keep testing to see if the par drops. 1yr -18months is what people are saying. I only run them for 4hrs so I sure they can last longer.

The bozily light that I am using is the same
Manufacture as the lights in that tank.
My lights fit inside the aqua life fixture.
The lights in the YouTube won’t fit inside of the aqua life fixture.

Amazon has them

Relassy Aquarium Light, 300W Full Spectrum Led Coral Reef Light for Saltwater Freshwater Fish Tank with 2 Dimmables White & Blue Light Amazon.com

Jamie S

NJRC Member
So this is where I currently stand with the tank. Gave it a vinegar bath last week and now scraping the old silicone off to re seal it. I’m hoping to have it done this week and fill it with water later on in the week. Then if it passes the leak test then it’ll get moved to the living room.

Attachments

• 68F6294E-A085-492C-A2A9-CE5AD3834DB6.jpeg
    68F6294E-A085-492C-A2A9-CE5AD3834DB6.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6

Jamie S

NJRC Member
This past weekend I scraped and re siliconed the tank and now leak testing her. Fingers crossed

Attachments

• 7F3C104E-8106-44AE-97E0-AD247EC2D0A7.jpeg
    7F3C104E-8106-44AE-97E0-AD247EC2D0A7.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: DEL

Jamie S

NJRC Member
You got this Jamie no problem,, and if you have a problem I’m sure you’ll receive plenty of help from the reef peeps
Thanks Paulie! So far so good. The test run is smooth and the pumps are running great. They’re all super silent. The main noise I’m having is from the durso drain. I’ll have to dial it in when I get it set up inside. Speaking of setting it up inside, I’m going to need a few strong hands on Sunday to help carry the tank in. Because of the plumbing though at the overflows I can’t disconnect and bring just the tank in so unless I want to cut the plumbing and redo some of it, I may have to carry the tank and stand in together. Not looking forward to that.

Thanks Paulie! So far so good. The test run is smooth and the pumps are running great. They’re all super silent. The main noise I’m having is from the durso drain. I’ll have to dial it in when I get it set up inside. Speaking of setting it up inside, I’m going to need a few strong hands on Sunday to help carry the tank in. Because of the plumbing though at the overflows I can’t disconnect and bring just the tank in so unless I want to cut the plumbing and redo some of it, I may have to carry the tank and stand in together. Not looking forward to that.
Where you located Feel free to hit me up with a text, I don’t answer phone when a number shows up I don’t know but I always read text

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Ran into a bit of a snag last night. I had been running fresh water through the system leak testing it and had no leaks. However when I stopped the pumps last night I watched the water stabilize and the sump of course filled up a little and stopped. I though everything was good to go but this morning when I woke up I went into the garage and found water on the floor and the sump had overflowed a little. The problem was that with the standpipes not glued to the bulkheads in the overflows the water in the overflows drained to the sump. I really want to be able to take them apart to clean every once in a while and I don’t want to glue them. I may have to glue some threaded fittings to the bulkheads so that I can unscrew the standpipes to clean the overflow. I’m curious if anyone else had this issue and what they did to solve it?

Ran into a bit of a snag last night. I had been running fresh water through the system leak testing it and had no leaks. However when I stopped the pumps last night I watched the water stabilize and the sump of course filled up a little and stopped. I though everything was good to go but this morning when I woke up I went into the garage and found water on the floor and the sump had overflowed a little. The problem was that with the standpipes not glued to the bulkheads in the overflows the water in the overflows drained to the sump. I really want to be able to take them apart to clean every once in a while and I don’t want to glue them. I may have to glue some threaded fittings to the bulkheads so that I can unscrew the standpipes to clean the overflow. I’m curious if anyone else had this issue and what they did to solve it?
Glue what needs gluing safe than sorry keep it simple don’t over think,, unless you enjoy stress then rock on and see what happens good luck brother

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Finally got the tank in the house. Now the fun begins. Tomorrow after work I’m going to start the rocks cape and making RODI water. The doors and canopy still need to be painted and installed also but not this weekend. Now my wife also has to find a new place for her pictures.

Attachments

• 280CCBF2-B741-4EF6-B629-4970B4D80C4D.jpeg
    280CCBF2-B741-4EF6-B629-4970B4D80C4D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9

Jamie S

NJRC Member
It took 3 days to make rodi water (my wife turned the water off while I was a work one day because the sound of the drain was bothering her in the laundry room lol) but it’s finally filled now and rockscape is done. I used Glue and excelerator from BRS for the rocks and man are they sturdy! I have the salt at about 1.020 ppm and temp at 80F. I think it’s time to start cycling. I’m doing a fish less cycle With microbactor7 and because it’s bare bottom I’m leaving the lights off for 3-4 months plus it gives me some time to save for them. I also have had a marine pure block in the cube for about a month that I’m going to put into the sump. I’ll probably throw a fish in as well unless it’s too much to throw in at once. What do you think?

Attachments

• 83F7405E-9AA2-40F5-BC36-8D1DE01718F5.jpeg
    83F7405E-9AA2-40F5-BC36-8D1DE01718F5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
It took 3 days to make rodi water (my wife turned the water off while I was a work one day because the sound of the drain was bothering her in the laundry room lol) but it’s finally filled now and rockscape is done. I used Glue and excelerator from BRS for the rocks and man are they sturdy! I have the salt at about 1.020 ppm and temp at 80F. I think it’s time to start cycling. I’m doing a fish less cycle With microbactor7 and because it’s bare bottom I’m leaving the lights off for 3-4 months plus it gives me some time to save for them. I also have had a marine pure block in the cube for about a month that I’m going to put into the sump. I’ll probably throw a fish in as well unless it’s too much to throw in at once. What do you think?
If you would of used pure ocean water it would of took 20 minutes

Is that true? I read that the bacteria lives in rock and substrate and not so much in the water although I would love to add ocean water to the tank eventually

Mostly lives on rock and sand. That's why porous live rock and materials like MarinePure work so well, there's a ton of surface area for the bacteria to grow.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

I would add fish right away. Fishless cycles are not needed. If you add bacteria your tank will be fully cycle in days.
This is how I see it adding food like a shrimp and waiting for that to decay is not good. It’s better to add two clowns that will eat and poop slowly and will add food for the bacteria slowly. Instead of all at once.

Is that true? I read that the bacteria lives in rock and substrate and not so much in the water although I would love to add ocean water to the tank eventually
It’s the best thing,, all the crap people buy to cycle a tank makes me belly laugh hard. Dr. Dummy’s quick cycle bacteria in a bottle for only 29.99 for 8oz bottle of snake oil n spluge, haha haha not me Mother Nature already made the perfect mix of life and it’s FREE. I will admit I’m a reef virgin as my tank is only 10 months old now,, she cycled fully in 8-9 days. I did nothing special and know absolutely nothing about chemicals and dosing,, I’ve never done either. Only difference is I use 100% pure Ocean Water in my tank and sump. I think my tanks is looking awesome for my first try

Attachments

• 6A4E1BFE-91EC-4C89-837E-4877845CE21A.jpeg
    6A4E1BFE-91EC-4C89-837E-4877845CE21A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 5F523627-767A-4379-B32C-4609A71319DB.jpeg
    5F523627-767A-4379-B32C-4609A71319DB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 29C4FCA1-3929-4FD6-9B7A-05A33B5B06F6.jpeg
    29C4FCA1-3929-4FD6-9B7A-05A33B5B06F6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 78C9E9DF-A074-4D7B-B2FC-39B3F12DA6B1.jpeg
    78C9E9DF-A074-4D7B-B2FC-39B3F12DA6B1.jpeg