• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2 heater failure

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I had two heater fail this weekend. I usually rotate my heaters.
I replace them every year and the old heaters are use for the water changing tubs.
Thank god they failed in a water change tub and not in my system.

I think it’s a good idea to replace your heater every year.

I buy the same heaters every year eheim 300w heaters
I get them from Amazon.

How often do you replace your heaters

Attachments

• 107002F9-29D2-4092-93AE-C9105420FBEB.png
    107002F9-29D2-4092-93AE-C9105420FBEB.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

erics210

NJRC Member
I was doing a water change while a fellow reefer was visiting. Distracted, ran my sump area dry, an area I usually don't drain. Smelled a little. But is still " working". This is a big heater I picked up from Madreefer back in 2016-17. Was awesome. But reached in late last night to move something. Tingle. So gonna swap out today, glad I have a spare. And going forward, will replace my system heater annually during the BRS sales....

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Probably time to change ours as well, I think we use the exact same ones as you. Especially now that the basement will be cooler during the winter.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I was doing a water change while a fellow reefer was visiting. Distracted, ran my sump area dry, an area I usually don't drain. Smelled a little. But is still " working". This is a big heater I picked up from Madreefer back in 2016-17. Was awesome. But reached in late last night to move something. Tingle. So gonna swap out today, glad I have a spare. And going forward, will replace my system heater annually during the BRS sales....

yeah I am not buying expensive heaters. It’s not worth it I rather get a trusted cheap heater and just replace it. Every year just like i replace wipers on my car lol

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Probably time to change ours as well, I think we use the exact same ones as you. Especially now that the basement will be cooler during the winter.

this is like the first week of low temps. My system is in the basement as well and the heater are running for a long time.

Just my experience but I have only had glass heaters with the built in controls fail on me before. I currently have 3 finnex titanium heaters (only 1 with built in controller), the one in my DT is at least 10 years old. The one that has the built in controller is the only one that has failed but it only the sensor that failed, I use that for mixing. The third is just my back up. I feel like buying a heater no matter the price every year is a waste of time money and just general resources (just my opinion though!)

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Just my experience but I have only had glass heaters with the built in controls fail on me before. I currently have 3 finnex titanium heaters (only 1 with built in controller), the one in my DT is at least 10 years old. The one that has the built in controller is the only one that has failed but it only the sensor that failed, I use that for mixing. The third is just my back up. I feel like buying a heater no matter the price every year is a waste of time money and just general resources (just my opinion though!)

I guess we are all different. I wouldn’t trust anything running for 10yrs.
I think I would replace my tanks and most equipment when they get that old.
Even changing them every year. I notice a lot of improvements from one year to the next. The energy consumption of a 10yr old heater is going to be higher that
A new heater.

Last edited:
I guess we are all different. I wouldn’t trust anything tuning for 10yrs.
I think I would replace my tanks and most equipment when they get that old.
Even changing them every year. I notice a lot of improvements from one year to the next. The energy consumption of a 10yr old heater is going to be higher that
A new heater.
You cannot get more efficiency out of a heater, resistive heating elements are just that it is a toaster in a tube. It would probably be more advisable to clean the heater as buildup on it can insulate the heater from working effectively which in turn is going to keep the heater on longer than it needs to be to achieve the same temperature as a clean one. My DT is got to be 20+ years old....

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You cannot get more efficiency out of a heater, resistive heating elements are just that it is a toaster in a tube. It would probably be more advisable to clean the heater as buildup on it can insulate the heater from working effectively which in turn is going to keep the heater on longer than it needs to be to achieve the same temperature as a clean one. My DT is got to be 20+ years old....

like I said we are all different. I don’t even live in a house for more than 10yrs lol.
The technology does change. Heater are being built better 10yrs for a electronic
Device in saltwater conditions is too harsh no matter how much you clean it.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I guess we also have to take under consideration.
that some people have their tanks in areas of the home that’s heated and the heaters don’t have to turn off and on all the time.
I also like using multiple 300 w heater. To heat my system. I place them in the sump and in overflows of each tank.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Heres my redundancy system / failsafe (ha!) method for protection…

Instead of a 200-250w in my current system I have 2x 150w.
#1 is connected to an Inkbird controller.
Controller is set to 78, as is the heater itself.
#2 is in sump, also set at 78.
So…
If #1 tries to stick ‘on’ it has the inkbird backup to shut it down.
If #2 tries to stick on, it can go nuts, as #1 will shut off on it own or via inkbird.
If both try to stick on, the inkbird will shut off #1.
Neither heater is strong enough on its own to overheat the tank, even at full force, so I have time to realize and correct.
If there is a heater fail, the other heater should keep the tank warm enough till I realize and correct.
Only bad scenario is both heaters failing simultaneously, which is probably very rare at best.
Sure, theres added expense buying 2 heaters and an inkbird but I’ve never had a concern regarding heaters in my tanks.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

So…
If #2 tries to stick on, it can go nuts, as #1 will shut off on it own or via inkbird.
Neither heater is strong enough on its own to overheat the tank, even at full force, so I have time to realize and correct.
If there is a heater fail, the other heater should keep the tank warm enough till I realize and correct.
Only bad scenario is both heaters failing simultaneously, which is probably very rare at best.
Sure, theres added expense buying 2 heaters and an inkbird but I’ve never had a concern regarding heaters in my tanks.
I agree multiple small heaters are always better than one huge heater.
ink birds work well and add a layer of protection.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member

So…
I am a copy cat and followed this model.