• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2 Sumps - Yay / Nay

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
With the new build I plan later this year was going to get a larger sump for a fuge or scrubber. But when I picked up the skimmers and the sump the other day, the sump is a nice size.
So I was wondering what if I split the return into two? One sump, the Elos for my skimmer and ATO plus return; the Eshsops for filer cup and fuge/scrubber plus second return.
Pics of Elso attached and Eshopps sump.
Thoughts?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    885.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Eshopps sump.jpg
    Eshopps sump.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 7
When you say split, do you mean:
-plumbing them in series.

Overflow > sump > sump > Return.

-or parallel.

overflow > sump1 > return
same overflow > sump2 > return

If you plan on splitting the overflow to the sumps parallel, one sump might get filled faster than the other and it could cause the second sump pump to run dry. Usually the ATO will prevent the water level from dropping too low, but with two return chambers, getting them to work in equilibrium MIGHT be hard.

Last edited:
Dont know about a parallel system, but I am currently building a linear style system that will hit 3 tanks before back to the display. As Goodair stated i would worry about even drain and return rates.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You can have two sumps you just need to run both on one pump.
Like everyone else said if you introduce that 2nd pump you will always have a problem getting them to sync

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The tank is drilled for closed loop, 2 holes at top and 4 towards the bottom so on back glass. So guess the easiest thing is to get one sump to house everything.
Thanks all, was just a thought

I have 2 sumps side by side that I drilled and connected them in the back. Let me find a photo for you

Love this forum. Any idea I come up with has already been discussed :)

@MadReefer Did you end up connecting the two sumps?
@Justin Can you provide more details on how you did this?
@Rossim2i2
Sure thing , so I have two drains on the tank , one goes to each sump, but my return pump is in the sump on the left. So I drilled the back of sump on the right higher than the water level on the left and connected them via PVC , this way there is a gravity drain from the sump on the right to left sump. Sorry if that's confusing , I can take more pictures once I'm home on Saturday. If you have any questions feel free to ask more I'm happy to help

Edit: you can't really see it in the picture because the plumbing is behind the 2 sumps, but I'll get a better shot once home

Sure thing , so I have two drains on the tank , one goes to each sump, but my return pump is in the sump on the left. So I drilled the back of sump on the right higher than the water level on the left and connected them via PVC , this way there is a gravity drain from the sump on the right to left sump. Sorry if that's confusing , I can take more pictures once I'm home on Saturday. If you have any questions feel free to ask more I'm happy to help
Ahhh. Two drains. That's what I was missing. Pic makes more sense now lol :)

I run two sumps in my system. And two additional tanks for water volume giving my 100 gallon display 400 gallons of water. The sumps are in series and the additional tanks are parallel It can be done both ways. However. All are fed from the same return pump. ( a very large iwaki ) At the end of the chain which is the final sump.