• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2006 December Holiday Bash Recap

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The NJRC Annual Holiday Bash was a smashing success! We had visitors from EchoTech, the VorTech folks, Andy from Ice Cap and our guest speaker, Sanjay, who missed his son's finals round football game yesterday to be in attendance! Big thanks to the Joshi family for sending him along on such an important day!!

Congrats to Sanjay's son & team for making it on to the next round of the playoffs (down to the final 4)!

By 2:00 the food spread on the table was getting quite crowded! There were many thing to choose from, ham, turkey, ziti, sweet potatos, SPICY chicken (we did say it would be spicy, right?!), veggies galore, huge salads, breads, rolls, macaroni and cheese... and more than enough of everything to go around (and around and around)!

There was a great turnout with a packed house as it came time to settle in for Sanjay's presentation. Sorry to those left standing, we would have pulled some more chairs out of the back room had we realized we'd be needing so many more! We sat and listened intently as Sanjay shed some light on the lighting industry. We learned enough about the difference between lumens and PAR to make our head swim. There'll be a test at the January meeting. This being my second time hearing Sanjay speak it actually made a lot more sense this time around. I'm looking forward to surfing around on his website to see how my bulb/ballast combination hold up! Next up on the docket was the Penn State Aquarium. Wow. What a work of art that is from the design (including the beam support to suspend the students from) to the rock layout. A lot of thought went into the pre-planning on that magnificent tank. For the finale we got to see the making of Sanjay's newest tank. An in-wall basement 500g tank. A tank that weighs 900#! EMPTY! A very interesting speach to say the least. Thanks, Sanjay! (Insert Video footage here!)

Raffles went fast and furiously with Brian trying his best to keep up with the fray! The corals raffled were largely from ReeferMadness (please make sure to post and let us know how they're doing), with some local donations being added in at the last minute (thanks to Andy and Merv). We got lots of support from our local fish clubs for this month's meeting. We had gift certificates from In Living Color, Tropiquarium, Aquarium Obsessions, and Oceanarium! StanThePaintMan, of chiller winning fame, came through with a 100$ gift certificate to Eagle's Reef (a great tradition to start, Stan! :D ).

Add to that the door prizes, and everyone went home with *something* (though quite a few folks took home a LOT)!

After the party we headed back to the bar at the hotel where we enjoyed the company of Sanjay until late into the evening. We waved good bye to him at breakfast this morning as he set sail on his daunting four hour journey home!

Thanks again to Sanjay and the entire Joshi family!

Pictures to follow, right gang!? With all those flashes there's sure to be LOTS of them to see.

Thanks to all of the members who helped to setup! It was great to have so many eager participants in the setup. There are always so many last minute things to do that having so many hands to help was wonderful!

A big thanks to all of the officers for their help in making this year's party a great success!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
WOW!!!! Another great party. For those of you that didn't come, you missed a lot of cool stuff.

There was frags, food and raffle prizes galour. It was great to see everyone again and nice to see some folks that haven't been seen in a while.

Thanks to Sanjay for the presentation. Andy from ICe Cap for the great donation.

And most importantly, a big "Thank You" to all the club officers and members for making this another successful year for the club. Looking forward to many more to come.

Now with all thos flashes going off I expect to see a ton of poics posted shortly.

An awesome party to say the least. Even if I hadn't won the skimmer (sorry guys), it was well worth it. Thanks out to all who made a great time happen.

Now I just need to decide on a pump for the MR-2R, Gen-X PCX55, PCX40, Pan World PS150, 100PX, or ...? I need a quiet pump since this thing will sit in my living room. Suggestions welcome.

Once again, a terrific meeting.

Marcelo -

C

concept3

I had a great time as well!  Good to see that the club is consistently growing!  Thanks to all the companies who supported us this year, congratulations to those who won the raffles!  Sanjay's talk was "up to PAR" (lol) and eye opening to say the least, I understand lighting much better now as I'm sure all of us can now make a better informed  decision when picking out lights. 

The food was great, company was overwhelming (in a good way), I had a great time.  Steve68-  thanks for completeing my doors AND taking my picture 53 times, remember, I moderate these forums, they will get deleted!!  (j/k)

I didn't take a whole lot of pictures (cuz someone had my lenses/flash most of the time ::) 8) ), I have a few, but none that great; I need to resize them a bit so I'll have them up by the end of the day!

Awesome party guys, and thanks for coming!  Happy Holidays!

I had a great time 2! i want to apologized for making all most everyone blind (sorry) but on the bright side i did get some good shots.
Ur welcome Merv & thanks for letting me use the goods :) i got some good amo.
i want to thank everyone that help put this together i got some good shots that i will post as soon as i can.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Thanks to all the officers and members who made the Annual Christmas Party happen this year. The food was good and Sanjay's presentation was very helpful. I am still processing all that he said. I was extremely impressed by the amount and quality of the raffle items. Good job NJRC!!

Can't wait to see the pictures!!

Erna

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll just echo the above responses and say I had  a really great time

Thanks Again Sanjay for taking the ride and hanging out with us for the day!

I have to be honest, the raffle frag list is in quite a shambles! That was chaotic!!  :eek:  Phyl and Jeff were working fast and furious.

Let's just say there were 44 frags raffled off! 44!!! (The number of my all time favorite running back!)

On to the Larger Raffle Items:

Qwerty: 50.00 ILC Gift Cert./ Iwaki RLXT30/100.00 Gift Cert. for Eagle Reefs (Donated by Stan the Paintman)

malulu: Tunze Nano Stream donated by Aquatic Obsessions

Marcelo: 50.00 Trop Gift Cert.

RichT: Ice Cap 660 VHO Ballast (Donated by Ice Cap)

Renee: RO/DI Unit from Air Water Ice

emanaresi: 30 gallon tank (w/some misc. equipment)/100.00 Oceanarium Gift Cert.

Wahoo: PH Monitor

JeffCurry: 3/4" Sea Swirl

175watt MH Ballast: John

MR2R Recirc. Skimmer: Marcelo

Tunze 6100 w/Multi Controller: Ken Chazotte

I apologize if I made any mistakes. But it's kind of hard keeping up and seeing who wins with 60 some odd people walking around!

Thanks to everyone who helped us out with setting up and tearing down.

I have a few pictures as well.. I will upload them later.

Edit:
Fixed name of Aquatic Obsessions

malulu

NJRC Member
good jobs well done everyone...!!! also very good presentation, now i am not so keen to upgrade my lighting just yet!

i think this one is better than last year's...  (no punch intended)
;D

especially, i won the TUNZE-NANO!!!!  yeah!!!   :p

I had a great time as well and would also like to thank all of the other officers for doing a great job. I think Phyl needs to get a big thank you for the incredible job she's over the last 2 years keeping everyone motivated and focused on our goals. Events like this show what potential the club really has. So onto 2007 with bigger events and more top quality speakers like Sanjay.

And thanks to everyone involved.

I spent about 2 hoours on Sanjays' lighting website checking stuff out. http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

It was a great time and I hated to leave. Great job everyone!

I sure would feel better if I could see the pictures of what I missed! ;D

I had a great time as well..... My first attending the meeting and it was a lot of fun... I can;t wait till the next meeting ;D.. Good job to all

steve

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here we go!

Door and Raffle Prizes:

Decmeet5.jpg

Frags!

Frag-Bags.jpg

FOOD (mmm)

decmeet4.jpg

Gather 'Round!

normal_decmeet8.jpg

Some of our esteemed officers:

decmeet2.jpg

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
decmeet1.jpg

normal_decmeet3.jpg

I'm not sure what Andy was talking about here.. Maybe his last doctor's appointment??  ;)

decmeet6.jpg

Hmm.. Why was Sanjay on the phone with Rich next to him?? (I smell bribery!!)  :eek:

normal_decmeet7.jpg

C

concept3

2006 December Holiday Bash

Hope you guys don't mind.  I was having fun with a few of these:

Let me know if you find any of these offensive, I'll take them out!

of=50,590,394

of=50,590,394

of=50,590,394

of=50,590,394

of=50,590,394

of=50,590,394

of=50,590,394

of=50,590,394