• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

220 gallon tank leaking.

EZreefin

NJRC Member
I noticed my tank's ATO was empty when I came home from work, and just thought I forgot to fill it before I left. About 2 hours later I came downstairs and noticed the carpet had wet spots. it's not uncommon for my larger fish to splash water while eating and playing. I bent down to dry the carpet and that's when I noticed the water pooling on the top of the stand. It looks as if the bottom seal may have started to leak.

I have a 150 gallon extra high tank in the garage I can try and set up temporarily. I know I can't house all of my coral in the 150 gallon. I will have to sell and cut up larger colonies to make room. I live in Brick If anyone is looking for or interested in anything specific please text me. (732) 300-9823

I am going to try and set up the 150 gallon tomorrow morning. The leak seems to be a slow one. I hope I can keep it up and running untill then. I'll keep posting updates as I go along. Any input or Advise will be appreciated.

Is there any way that one of the LFS could help you out by housing some of your corals? I've asked Warren at Sea Level to help me out a couple times... Or maybe a fellow reefer who has room in their system? I'd offer myself, but my DT is currently halfway through a fallow period and my frag tank is tiny...

Or maybe set up a large rubbermaid bin, use tank water from your system, and house the larger colonies temporarily in that?

EZreefin

NJRC Member
I noticed it leaking from the bottom of the tank. I first thought my bulkhead was leaking. Then I noticed it was dripping from the cutouts that allowed my pipe to go through to connect to the bottom of my tank. It is also seeping out from the bottom of my tank.

Attachments

• 16016091854155335387593143370289.jpg
    16016091854155335387593143370289.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 16016092868914705765215953529899.jpg
    16016092868914705765215953529899.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

EZreefin

NJRC Member
What town do you live in? If your fairly close I might have to take you up on that offer. I am going to have my father-in-law help me move the tank I have in the garage to downstairs. The only prob. Is its been empty for about 5 years. The silicon is still soft and seals look good. Left the acrylic sump outside filled with water for leak test. It looks good this morning. I just don't have time to leak test the tank...Fingers crossed!!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
What town do you live in? If your fairly close I might have to take you up on that offer. I am going to have my father-in-law help me move the tank I have in the garage to downstairs. The only prob. Is its been empty for about 5 years. The silicon is still soft and seals look good. Left the acrylic sump outside filled with water for leak test. It looks good this morning. I just don't have time to leak test the tank...Fingers crossed!!
Good morning
I live in Edison. If you don’t want to drive up here you can go to Home Depot or Walmart and buy two big storage tubs.
They will also work and hold a lot of water and rocks.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

55 Gal. Tough Storage Bin in Black

EZreefin

NJRC Member
Thank you. Just got 150 down stairs and going to do a quick plumbing job so off to Home Depot I go.

Attachments

• 20201002_113011.jpg
    20201002_113011.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20201002_113015.jpg
    20201002_113015.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20201002_123807_HDR.jpg
    20201002_123807_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
I probably have been watching too much tv because of covid, but would this flex seal stuff work to help seal the leak??

or the flex tape

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I feel bad for you. Hope you can move your corals into other tanks.

Someone on R2R used it inside his bare bottom tank to reduce glare. So I guess it's non-toxic

I noticed it leaking from the bottom of the tank. I first thought my bulkhead was leaking. Then I noticed it was dripping from the cutouts that allowed my pipe to go through to connect to the bottom of my tank. It is also seeping out from the bottom of my tank.

Last edited:
Being a slow leak and not from the bulk head seals, it's highly likely its the silicone. You can probably reseal it after its empty and save the tank, but that always comes with a risk.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Hey just saw this. We have a 200g and a 80g frag tank if you need us to life raft anything. I have no problem holding it until you get setup and we are in point pleasant so close.