• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

28G JBJ Nano Cube Question

I have been out of the hobby for just over 2 years and i plan on buying my tank in the next 2 weeks. I plan on keeping mostly SPS with other assorted softies, but not quite sure on LED's. Do you all recommend going with LED or T5. HQI is out of the question since i don't want to worry about getting a chiller.

Attached are a few pics of my last tank i had before i moved to NJ from California.

Attachments

• fatty.jpeg
    fatty.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • fts.jpg
    fts.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 14
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 14
  • zoa.jpg
    zoa.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 14
  • zoa2.jpg
    zoa2.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 14

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to the club!! I'm partial to T5 myself. But I have seen many nice tanks lit by leds. I think it's personal preference.

I'm happy with led's on mine but its all I used and know. I do have some shadowing issues and everything on the outside perimeter grows in the center direction of the light. I'd like to do some t5 experiments but I'm waiting for a wider tank... A 24in fixture is going wider than I'd like on this tank

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Your old tank was gorgeous so I really hope you can repeat that.

Are you staying with the stock hood over the JBJ or are you taking it off? Obviously if you take it off it would give you a lot more choices that just the compacts or leds. For example we are running a kessil over our 30g cube and loving it. We have t5s over our frag tank and display so we obviously like T5s too.

Your old tank was gorgeous so I really hope you can repeat that.

Are you staying with the stock hood over the JBJ or are you taking it off? Obviously if you take it off it would give you a lot more choices that just the compacts or leds. For example we are running a kessil over our 30g cube and loving it. We have t5s over our frag tank and display so we obviously like T5s too.

If i went LED i would use the stock hood that the tank came with, but if i went T5 i planned on using the quad 24 Aqualight T5.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That is a tough call. I don't think the leds in the JBJ hoods are really all that amazing. I think you can do well with them, but I would not really choose those if given a choice. We had the 12g jbj with stock LEDs and were underwhelmed. T5s are tried and true and would work. If you were going to go hoodless, I think that opens up your choices considerably though. Take a look at the JBJ rimless tanks too, they are really nice and will give you a lot of options.

Without a chiller my tank ran in the 80's with the hood on. Removing the hood and having a fan blowing across the top of the water the coolest it will go now is 78.

I have had the jobs led set up for a few years now.. One thing I can say is I would NOT purchase it if I had hindsight at my advantage... I've had to replace the Power supply twice and it's starting to go again.. My moon nights died, 2 led strips shorted out and had to be replaced, and my dusk dawn lights died 3 times before I gave up on replacing them..

I'm scrapping the hood in a few days for a ai prime led fixture.. The jbj LEDs are bright but only whites.. Just not worth the money.