• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

3.5 Gallon DIY

I was in the process of making a similar small tank but I knocked it off the table and broke it ..doh. So here I am again putting a new one together.
It holds about 3.5 gallons in the main display. Im considering putting a DIY rock wall on the back but not sure yet. Heres the basic layout.

3.5g Pico DIY

Main Display:
Length: 13" (33.02cm)
Height: 8" (20.32cm)
Width: 9" (22.86cm)
3.65 Useable gallons

Sump Area:
Length: 11" (27.94cm)
Height: 8" (20.32cm)
Width: 6" (15.24cm)

Materials List:
Glass:
(Main)
Bottom = 12 1/2 " x 8 1/2"
Front = 13 " x 8"
Bottom = 10 1/2 " x 5 3/4"
(Sump)
Back = 10 1/2 " x 8"
2 Sides = 8 " x 6
2 Sides = 8 " x 8 3/4"
Acrylic:
Back = 12.5 " x 8"/Acrylic
Baffles = 7 3/4" x 10 3/4" (2)4 3/4" x 73/4"

Misc:
Silicone Clear
Blue tape (already had)
Goop (already had)
Eggcrate (already had)

Plumbing:
1/2" PVC pipe elbow and T (already had)
Lock-Line (already had)
Maxi-Jet 400 (already had)

Possible Stock: Soft Corals and maybe sexy shrimp

I'll be putting the glass together later today and will post more pics later on.

2.png

1.png

4dimensions2.png

4dimensions.png

Thanks alot guys hopefully I dont FUBAR this one.

Ok put the first part of the glass together tommorow Ill toss the baffles in and do a final seal.
Back beaded the glass and taped it all together.

12.jpg

32.jpg

either you are working in your kids room - or you have a nice frog and doll back there. ;)

woo - just noticed the rocking horse off pic....neato. :)

Looks cool Monk!

What's up with chamber 2 ?

Looks like racks for possibly running media trays ?

Yet I also see lighting for a possible fuge?

Do tell, do tell! :)

And are we going all LED on the lighting??

Thanks guys.Yep its the play room lol. Goona put media baskets in chamber2 and try and squeeze some cheato in the other. Id like to try and do LEDs just not sure how yet.

Wow, this is really cool. Especially having the actual dimensions of each piece used and the CAD/sketch diagrams!
Will pay attn.

Havnt had much time to work on this lately but I managed to get the to parts together today and one dicider wall in. I decided not to use blue acrylic on the back because I think Im gonna try making one of those faux rock walls on the back. Notice my handy Coolaid spoon in the last pic :)

DSCN1674.jpg

DSCN1675.jpg

DSCN1676.jpg

DSCN1677.jpg

Id be more than happy to throw one together for you at cost and maybe 20 bucks above and beyond just wont really have anytime for a month or so.

I was kidding but if you would be willing to build another one sometimedown the road let me know. I'll pay you cost + time + a few frags. Let me know.

Ok got the baffles in and I think I am gonna try the false rock wall and glue them to the back eggcrate. Gonna sand it and clean it up this weekend and paint the back.

DSCN1678.jpg

DSCN1679.jpg

Ok got the tank taped off and a first coat of paint on it. Tommorow Ill knock the tits off the glass and get a final coat on it.

prep.jpg

sprsy.jpg

These are the dry rocks I picked up for the back wall. Im gonna break them up with a hammer and attach them to the back wall. Im thinking sone GSP flowin on the back wall will look kind of cool what do you guys and gals think?

rocks.jpg

Ok got the first coat of bronze on will put last coat on tommorow and clean up the silicone etc...Thought the bronze looked kind of cool for a change instead of black or blue hopefully it looks good with water and all in it.

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

4b.jpg