• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

30 JBJ Rimless tank

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We won a new tank down at MACNA so we decided to start a new thread. We have been very lazy with posting and we have actually had a 34g Red Sea Max up in our bedroom for the past several years without posting about it. Very simple tank, so not really much to post. We won the tank down at MACNA and decided to start a nice new thread about it.

Equipment:
30g rimless JBJ with stand
Kessil A160we blue tint
Tunze Nano skimmer
Two In Tanked Media baskets for the dual overflows (Running Carbon, filter floss and chemi pure)
Tunze nano ATO

Livestock:
We had a pair of maroon lightning clowns in the old tank which will find there way in here but they are in the frag tank for now.
For now we have:
A pair of dwarf whitespotted pygmy filefish
A pair of transparent cave gobies
Single clownfish we had in the frag tank that got displaced by the lightning maroons

IMG_0637_zpscdskzw5k.jpg

IMG_0642_zpsqvovghpk.jpg

IMG_0641_zpscyoxb2rw.jpg

IMG_0643_zpset3jewma.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looking good! Congrats on the win. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Basically here we are one month later and the tank is doing really well. Almost becoming our favorite tank just because of how easy it is:

Full tank Shot
DSC_5565_zpsbndkeycw.jpg

ORA transparent cave goby
DSC_5555_zpsbsor78ct.jpg

Random Shrooms
DSC_5548_zpsglov8s1k.jpg

Other random shroom
DSC_5546_zpshlbdm6px.jpg

Maxi nem
DSC_5544_zpsid4debjz.jpg

Cloves, Gorgonian and GSP
DSC_5543_zpslcfgnny2.jpg

Torch
DSC_5541_zpssohwo1wm.jpg

More shrooms
DSC_5540_zpso4xkjbdj.jpg

Ric
DSC_5538_zpsy4scnfgz.jpg

Cave goby
DSC_5537_zpstpeeolid.jpg

Nice tank, congrats on winning it.
Thanks Dave :)
I was getting a bit burned out, it is helping restore my healthy addiction.
You can't see it in this photo, but this tank houses Mike's very first invert- a serpent star we picked out in 2008 for his first nano :)

So this little tank is really starting to come along nicely, in my mind. I added two barnacle bennies this past week, and the file fish and cave gobies have really colored up nicely and are starting to grow. I need to see what zoa's Mike will part with from the frag tank for me in the next few weeks :)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Funny little story from last night. I have an ato for this tank but have just not set it up, just a combination of laziness, procrastination and busy end of the year stuff. I basically top the tank off by hand with 2.5g jugs. I woke up this morning at about 5 am to use the mens room and was having trouble falling back asleep because the tank was making a loud trickling sound because it need to be topped off. I grab the jug and in the dark try to top off.....and miss the tank. Poured water right onto the power strip and tripped the breaker. One trip down to the basement to flip it and a dead powerstrip is what I get for my efforts, oh and an awake and annoyed wife. So yeah, lesson to all, don't do that.

Funny little story from last night. I have an ato for this tank but have just not set it up, just a combination of laziness, procrastination and busy end of the year stuff. I basically top the tank off by hand with 2.5g jugs. I woke up this morning at about 5 am to use the mens room and was having trouble falling back asleep because the tank was making a loud trickling sound because it need to be topped off. I grab the jug and in the dark try to top off.....and miss the tank. Poured water right onto the power strip and tripped the breaker. One trip down to the basement to flip it and a dead powerstrip is what I get for my efforts, oh and an awake and annoyed wife. So yeah, lesson to all, don't do that.

Yup.
Awake and annoyed wife here.
Good thing I love him anyway. :)

So this little tank has been up for several months now, and I am really enjoying it.
I talked Mike into a coco worm for this tank, I'll see if I can get him to take a photo of it for me this weekend if we are snowed in :)

I have the same tank Mike. I glued a little piece of acrylic to the overflow teeth on the media rack side. It forces all the water from the overflow to fall into the media rack. I saw the diy on another site