• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

48" led unit?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My father is looking to replace his current 4 bulb t5 fixture because it somehow stopped working after the power outage. He really does not keep corals, but I have thrown in some zoas , toadstool and a couple other softies and they seemed to do OK. I would like him to go to LEDs, but he doesn't want to spend too much money although he realizes if he spends a little more he will not have to replace bulbs.

I really do not follow LEDs so I am asking for your advice. Are there any 48" led fixtures? What should I look into for him?

My father is looking to replace his current 4 bulb t5 fixture because it somehow stopped working after the power outage. He really does not keep corals, but I have thrown in some zoas , toadstool and a couple other softies and they seemed to do OK. I would like him to go to LEDs, but he doesn't want to spend too much money although he realizes if he spends a little more he will not have to replace bulbs.

I really do not follow LEDs so I am asking for your advice. Are there any 48" led fixtures? What should I look into for him?
I just got an email from the Aquarium Center yesterday I think with a sale on LED's. I can forward it to you if you want. I didn't read it but I saw it on my phone.

Acuaticlife also makes a 48" led that is expandable. I don't know too much about them though. Hidden reef PA carries them.

Nevermind. It says fish only

Aqueon Modular LED Light
Brand New!

Designed for full coverage lighting on standard size, fish-only aquariums.
One Daylight LED lamp is included in each fixture.
Two expansion slots available for additional LED lamps.

Introductory Sale!
20" LED Light - $35.99
24" LED Light - $40.99
30" LED Light - $47.99
36" LED Light - $54.99
48" LED Light - $67.99

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The reef breeders LED's are pretty good. Is there a price range? I'm currently running LED's on a 48" tank and have researched almost every fixture. Feel free to ask me any questions.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hey Taz long times no talk. I used the fresh water version of these on my Tank and they grew plants that the fish store told me wouldn't work. so I'm sure these being 3 watt versions should work great. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110973255621&cmd=VIDESC

I second this unit. Now, I do not want to get bashed for this but I personally use this unit for my reef tank. The light is well built and it spreads very evenly in my tank. I only have a few softies and lps frags in my tank right now and once my tank is a bit more established I will try a few SPS frags and see how they fair but my current corals love this light. I'm not saying this light is the best out there but for the price, it's a great deal. You'll be disappointed if you are expecting dimmable LEDS and weather simulation, but if you just want a light that works? you can't beat this.

I've had this unit for about 2 months now and it's still running strong. I suggest you buy the hanging kit with it and have it 4-6" above the water surface so you don't get a spotlight effect.

http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-48-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56237.htm

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks guys, I lost internet this weekend and I'm finally able to see your replies.

My gut feeling was the marineland, but I am not opposed to looking into the others. Being that it is for Dad's tank, I will relay these choices and see what he does

Hey taz that link I gave u is a marine land knock off. But that is what I use. Its by beamworks which supposedly manufactures the marineland ones also. And that guy is the guy I bought mine from and got it in like 3 days to my house.