• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

48" T5 light fixture went bad

Does anyone have a 48" T5 light fixture I can borrow? My Solar Flare went bad on me. When I came home, I noticed that the T5's where flickering. I can also here something inside, like sparks or something. I hear the crackling noise when I turn on the switch that controlls the four T5's. I have turned it off and hope that the problem can get resolved. What can it be? I will leave it off the whole day tomorrow. I don't want to leave the tank without lights any longer than that. I have tha bulbs. I just need thae fixture.

Ricwilli,

Contact aquatinics. If its under warranty he will fix it for free, if you drive up to CT he might do it that day. If not you can ship it and get it back in three days.

I posted in his thread over on RC. Unfortunately, I purchased this fixture used from ICECAP at last year Frag Swap. Now its acting up. I need something asap as I don't know how long its going to take to get it fixed.

Thanks

I don't think its the bulb as I swapped them around. I'm going to pm Chris as I purchased it from him at the swap. Thanks ED

I have a 48in 4x65w compact light if that helps. Sounds like it might be something simple if you still have some type of power going to the lights. I would be concerned if it was completly out. I would check the sockets the bulb sit in or the ballast itself.

mikem said:
Did you try taking it apart to see if it's a loose connection?

No Mike, I have not tried that yet. It was around 6pm when I noticed the flickering and noise. I couldn't deal with the problem as I was taking care of my kids (a 3 years old and a 5 months old). You know how that is. I will try taking it apart tonight as I know that Chris and Aquactinics are going to ask me the same thing. I just don't want to keep my tank without lights for any longer. I will post when I take it apart. Thanks everyone for the help.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would bet thats it's only a loose connection somewhere.
Couldn't you get one of the kids to help you take it apart? ;D

Thanks saltwaterguy112. But I don't know how good PC lights are in an SPS-LPS dominated 90 gallon tank. The solar flare has 6 bulbs and 4 are ran seperatley from the other two. I could use the two but it will not be enough. Plus, there is a IceCap ballast in the fixture that is overdriving the bulbs.

Ric,

When i contacted Ice Cap and Aquatinics neither asked me to take apart the fixture. They actually prefer that you dont. That way you dont mess anything else up. Im not an electrician so i dont mess around. LOOK at Tracy Morgan the actors recent fire from a blown bulb on his tank.

If you call Ice Cap, im sure Chris will go above and beyond to help you out. Hes one of best guys out there. Also aquatnics would do the same but they are toooo far.

I have a 48" Current Nova 8x54. Full Spectrum 10K bulbs are 6 months old and actinics are brand new...only turned on to test the bulbs. Location: West Windsor.

ReeferNets said:
Ric,

When i contacted Ice Cap and Aquatinics neither asked me to take apart the fixture. They actually prefer that you dont. That way you dont mess anything else up. Im not an electrician so i dont mess around. LOOK at Tracy Morgan the actors recent fire from a blown bulb on his tank.

If you call Ice Cap, im sure Chris will go above and beyond to help you out. Hes one of best guys out there. Also aquatnics would do the same but they are toooo far.

Just contacted Chris and he specifically said that " I must open it up to isolate the problem" as MikeM suggested. I will be doing that tonight as I have a feeling that Aquactinics will ask me to do the same thing.

calaxa, I do not want to purchase one. I need to borrow one until I get mine fixed.

LOL i think the reason why they told not to take it apart now that i think about it because i said i didnt feel comfortable messing with the wires.

My fixture was also under warranty.

Either way i hope you get it worked out. Thats a awsome fixture. Good Luck