• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

55 Gallon Drums

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Found a local place that has clean 55 gallon drums $10 a piece:

55 Gallon Drum.jpg

Drums contained citric acid that's been rinsed out. Even if there was residual, it wouldn't hurt anything.
Guy located on the Sayreville / South Amboy border close to Rt 35, Rt 9 and the Parkway. Here's the Craigslist:

I picked up four for a raised bed garden....drums cut down to 15 inches.

Rueric

NJRC Member
These would be great for a kalk reservoir!
Are these food grade drums though?
Also, who uses craigslist anymore, I thought FB marketplace was the way to go now

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
These would be great for a kalk reservoir!
Are these food grade drums though?
Also, who uses craigslist anymore, I thought FB marketplace was the way to go now

Let me start with your last question….I’m an old fart and don’t waste my time on any social media sites. So I don’t have Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, etc. To put it differently, I have a life! :oops::cool:

Now as far as these drums, I’ll take a closer look tomorrow, but I do know they are high density polyethylene….the cleanest of any plastic material you can find. Brute trash cans are made of polyethylene. It’s safe. The other consideration is that this citric acid was used to passivate stainless steel for the pharmaceutical industry, so I would think, as a minimum, it is food grade. But again, I’ll look tomorrow to see what I can find. I personally wouldn’t think twice about using these for any application of my tank.

Rueric

NJRC Member
Let me start with your last question….I’m an old fart and don’t waste my time on any social media sites. So I don’t have Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, etc. To put it differently, I have a life! :oops::cool:

Now as far as these drums, I’ll take a closer look tomorrow, but I do know they are high density polyethylene….the cleanest of any plastic material you can find. Brute trash cans are made of polyethylene. It’s safe. The other consideration is that this citric acid was used to passivate stainless steel for the pharmaceutical industry, so I would think, as a minimum, it is food grade. But again, I’ll look tomorrow to see what I can find. I personally wouldn’t think twice about using these for any application of my tank.
Let me know! I can use some upgrades to my brutes

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here’s the UN code on the drum. To put it bluntly, this means it’s made from FDA-Compliant resins for containment of food and cosmetic products. This is "higher" than the Brute cans.

UN Code Drum.jpg

Not sure who the manufacturer is, but THIS LINK explains the UN coding.

And here’s the recycle code.

Recycle Code drum.jpg

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Sheew great price, I want one with a removable top, that's what I'm searching for but agreed, I spent $30