• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

600+ Gallon tank build!

So I convinced my wife Tara to let me upgrade from my two current tanks (225 & 120) to one larger one. I found one on another forum for sale and asked if I could put in an offer, he wanted about $2000 for it. I was allowed to but only $500 (her thinking no chance he would accept) to both our surprise he did! I now own my first acrylic tank, dimensions are 96"x48"x36"!! About 630 gallons with an external scupper box on one end.
I picked up tank last Friday and had a lot of help from NJR members Saturday at meeting at my home (it wasn't planned but worked out). Unfortunately I did not get any pics of the unloading with everyone but I think Karen did ( I hope she can post).
Tank does have visible scratches so I ordered some novus and buffing supplies. Turned tank on its back today to plug up ALL of the closed loop bulk heads, 14 total... Not sure why so many would be needed but they are there, so I could do a leak test (hopefully tomorrow) and see what scratches are noticeable when full. Next step is to drain and start polishing the interior. The panels are over sized and need to be trimmed and cleaned up after that, then I can get a stand welded up.
08974aeb99ceeea57f05f837a28b575c.jpg

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Subscribed!!! Looking forward to this Tim. Lmk if you need any help besides lifting and moving it!

HOLY CRAP! You got a 600 gallon tank for $500??? That's $100 less than my 180 at the time! This is awesome! I don't think anyone in the club has a tank this size!! Looking forward to watching this come together!

Subscribed!!! Looking forward to this Tim. Lmk if you need any help besides lifting and moving it!

Thanks Darren, I need to figure out a better way to flip tank to work on it, I put a couple straps around it to lift it with the hoist mounted on the ceiling in the garage... Yea won't be doing that for a while again, strap broke, I don't think it got me but luckily the tank wasn't really off the ground, I caught it with my leg (bruise) and hand (slice) nothing crazy but it slowed me down.

HOLY CRAP! You got a 600 gallon tank for $500??? That's $100 less than my 180 at the time! This is awesome! I don't think anyone in the club has a tank this size!! Looking forward to watching this come together!

Yep! I can't believe it still. I know hat it does need a bit of attention. "My dream" tank was about 300 gal. I picked up my 225 last year and I just wasn't happy with the depth of the tank it seamed like everything was too tight and I couldn't stack rock high enough. I've been pricing out tanks since about October, I was looking to do a 108x 30 or 36 and 27-30 high. Got prices from $3500-9000! At that point I would have to wait until summer... This came up and I figured why not! I only have about three months before work gets crazy again so hopefully it won't take too long to get tank in place and water in it. The finish work... Well it will have to be some late nights, I have a 6 week old also!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Wow! Mark here, new guy. Looking forward to watching this come together. Good luck!

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think we have nicknamed the tank "the Beast." I did get some pics, I will try to post later. Totally forgot I said I would earlier. Good luck with build. Following along.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Soooo.... How are you going to light this bad boy?. Oh, and You need one of these.

558e53d7a386a9bc00f62b9626bad8fd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Definitely following along, having been part of The Beast unloading party.

Sorry about the mishap with the lifting strap.....could have been a lot worse.....for you and the tank. HERE's straps at Harbor Freight that should take the load.....not bad for 12 bucks.

I also have a large engine hoist, if that would help. I'll see if I can get a picture....it's adjustable as well.

I'm up for being part of the move-in team if I'm around.

Keep the pictures coming!

EDIT TO ADD:

Here's the hoist. The legs and boom can be extended out pretty far. I'm not planning any engine work, and your welcome moving this down to your place for an extended stay. Also, the hydrolic is relatively new....many three years old.

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
This is > many people's dream tank. Let me know if you need a hand for anything.

Now we know where these fish go once they grow too big for our tanks :)

The beast

6f40e02587f4eefa2cdf5bf7c120d303.jpg

4fc994ceb59955615b9b6d7d2ba20bf8.jpg

a9c44b99c7e7ef131a083a8d625d4b22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for uploading! I didn't realize you have rc cars, I have a small collection of them too. As for the strap breaking it was a Goodyear strap, I'm not sure of the load capacity two of them were not the problem, it slid and with the weight it made one clean cut right through it! Got held up today cleaning snow... Didn't get to fill tank . Got bit in to trim the overlapped pieces but didn't realize my router is only 1/4", Home Depot again.

This is > many people's dream tank. Let me know if you need a hand for anything.

Now we know where these fish go once they grow too big for our tanks :)

Lefkonj aka Jeff already asked, answer is YES! I'll grant you visitation rites also. Thank you for the offer, I will take you up on it when it is time for the swap.

So I filled he beast today! It took 2 hours and 10 min!
a70e6600c3ced663c69d7da952e545cf.jpg

Very pleased, I thought there would have been more scratches than there were, I think I'm going to hit with 1500, 2000 and then novus. I don't think I have to go more than that. Also got a little trimming done to it, top is flush all the way around and rounded the corners so I don't slice myself any more.
209b3bf434953aad0cd5653cc740c869.jpg

f37009a7ecd18c89fcbf18bb45eef687.jpg

91e5328694ef9babc1b0b45c50470989.jpg

Next step is flipping tank to trip the overlaps on the other sides, you can see in the one picture the left side panel is overlapping the front panel by about +1". No leaks in tank, less deflection than what I thought. I am also going to try to remove paint on panel tomorrow as well.

2 hrs 10 min to fill, 13 min to drain...600+ gallons later...