• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

72g Bow Front Reef Project - Freshwater to Saltwater Conversion

DSC04447.jpg

Here's an image of what the lifetech pump looks like

DSC04473.jpg

DSC04482.jpg

The target 20g sump

DSC04491.jpg

The fish tank area, end table might be useful to keep other stuff on if I move the plants

DSC04476.jpg

Shot from below my tank, seems like it'll fit.

DSC04492.jpg

DSC04496.jpg

Course getting it under the stand seems to be a problem, I'll have to figure that out later.

I'll have to order the baffles to get cut sometime this week, course tomorrow I gotta spend the time digging my pond pit even more (joy... :-\) got 2 feet so far, but i gotta dig another foot and widen the sides some more.

I have same tank but different stand made by oceanic with 1 door in middle. Couldn't fit the 20g so I use 2 10g, 1 for sump other for refugium.

I was thinking of doing that yesterday If I couldn't fit the 20 in my stand. Figured the door openings would fit 2 10g at least. Course my question is do you connect them with bulkheads and flex pipe horizontally? also what would the layout be of the sump using 2 seperate chambers.

I'll search if you have a thread with detail on the set-up, believe needreefunds had a similar set up, but with a certain filter besides a 10g.

Had 15g long under there before with baffles dividing it up to 3 compartments but didn't like how it look so switch to the 2 10g. Forgot to make over under with baffles for return pump so it just sits in the refugium, so far no bubbles on return.The 2 10g isn't connected, just sits right next to each other. I use a coralife skimmer, model 220. I hang that on the back of the 10g sump, it has a flex tube for the outlet so I feed that tube directly into the refugium next to it. Eventually want to add more rock in sump.

ahh I see what you did now, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can utilize that idea if I end up doing dual 10g's.

if you leak test the 20g and are sure you're not going to be taking the sump out - you could take the 155 off the stand and try and drop the 20 in from the top.

I have the same tank as you do. I can't remember how many gallons it is what I'm using as a sump but u can not fit anything over 24" long because of the bow shape of the stand. But like the other guys I'm looking to to switch to 2 tanks instead of one. I was planning to use a 16g bowfront and a 10g, that way I could use the 16g tank as a refugium with a DSB and the 10g I will use for the return pump, heater, skimmer....

Here is a pic of my setup now.

IMG_0045.jpg

I don't see that 20g being a problem if you have to empty out the 72g tank. Just remove the 72 when its emty and slide in the 20g. Here is my sump under my 72g
IMG_2748.jpg
. I even have a calcium reactor set up on the back left corner behind the refuge. Its pretty tight but I don't need to put anything else in the stand. I never took the time to fix all the wiring since I new I would be upgrading. Now that I purchased a 180g tank I will have to sell this setup. I built the sump and it was my first time ever working with acrylic. The sump was suppose to be a two piece sump but I made a big mistake by drilling two acrylic pieces together for the bulkheads, and the acrylic welded together. This is the build thread http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=4846.0

How come the little clown is down there? Is it a time out? :D
[/quote]

Baught it as a pair, didn't like his color compare to my male. Put the big f in the dp, hoping it will mate with my male. Gonna give it away here after the clowns in the dp pair up.