• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

75g DT adding 75 refugium Opinions Needed Wanted

vangvace said:
I'm a little unsure about the DSB bucket. I was under the impression that such a small area doesn't give you the benifits of having a DSB.

Actually - Anthony Calfo specifically talks about the "Remote DSB" - and talks literally about using a 5 gallon bucket with sand and high flow across. Even if it "fouls" - it's not difficult to swap out that bucket and replace it. The cost is minimal with plenty of potential benefit. It's in Calfo's book on Coral Propagation. Great read if you can get your hands on a copy.

phil519 said:
vangvace said:
I'm a little unsure about the DSB bucket. I was under the impression that such a small area doesn't give you the benifits of having a DSB.

Actually - Anthony Calfo specifically talks about the "Remote DSB" - and talks literally about using a 5 gallon bucket with sand and high flow across. Even if it "fouls" - it's not difficult to swap out that bucket and replace it. The cost is minimal with plenty of potential benefit. It's in Calfo's book on Coral Propagation. Great read if you can get your hands on a copy.

Really? I'll have to read up on it. Last I read on DSB, and mind you it was a while ago, is they weren't the greatest when you have a small surface area. I hate being behind the times. :mad:

I would be a "little unsure" about a DSB bucket myself.

While I would agree that a remote DSB is a good thing, I'd want something with a lot more surface area than a bucket can provide.

As for Anthony Calfo's book, while he's great on coral fragging and propagation, I tend to disagree with him on a lot of equipment areas. Keep in mind that any book tends to be a bit dated by the time it gets to publication. Wile we are on the subject of Anthony Calfo, if you are ever at a show and get a chance to hear him in person, go. He's one of the best speakers "on the tour".

Good point Dave...A lot of books are written 5 maybe 10 years ago and then published and re-released with new editions.

Obviously a larger area would be preferable - the context of the remote DSB bucket was a cheap solution that could be easily set up (as well as dismantled) without messing with the display. In addition one theoretically could daisy chain several of these buckets in a line to increase surface area.

Well - the one equipment area I think is fantastic is that "overflow" he designed. Why no one of the existing custom tank makers use that today is a wonder.

sorry for the hijack!

phil519 said:
Well - the one equipment area I think is fantastic is that "overflow" he designed. Why none of the existing custom tank makers use that today is a wonder.

sorry for the hijack!
Sorry to continue hijack...

I have a feeling it's because of cost, either in extra manufacturing time or materials. Quicker to drill the bottom and wedge a piece of plastic in for the overflow. Too bad since I like the looks of Calfo's design.