• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

75G Stand- advice needed

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I picked up a free 75g tank, stand and hood- although it looks to be a stand and canopy made for the tank ( the trim on the tank matches the finish ), and it obviously was strong enough, I'm not sure if I should be so confident- most of the stand is laminate, the support for the tank looks a bit narrow and thin to me. Should I trust it or strip it down and add 2x4" supporting bracing

Attachments

• DSCF0055 (1).JPG
    DSCF0055 (1).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0054 (1).JPG
    DSCF0054 (1).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0056 (1).JPG
    DSCF0056 (1).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0057 (1).JPG
    DSCF0057 (1).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0058 (1).JPG
    DSCF0058 (1).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 15

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My 75g had a similar stand with no issues and got it used. If you're not comfortable add 2x4 as you stated.

Salted

NJRC Member
That does not look like it was originally a tank stand, it's a repurposed cabinet. There's still drawer slides in it. That being said, if it was modified to hold a tank and it did before I wouldn't worry. Look it over and make sure that there's direct support from the tank to the ground. My concern looking at it is more that those doors aren't going to give much access to a sump and equipment if that's how you're going to run it. I'd cut out the horizontal brace between the door and drawer front and glue and screw all three together to make one tall door. Way more access and no loss of support.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
That does not look like it was originally a tank stand, it's a repurposed cabinet. There's still drawer slides in it. That being said, if it was modified to hold a tank and it did before I wouldn't worry. Look it over and make sure that there's direct support from the tank to the ground. My concern looking at it is more that those doors aren't going to give much access to a sump and equipment if that's how you're going to run it. I'd cut out the horizontal brace between the door and drawer front and glue and screw all three together to make one tall door. Way more access and no loss of support.
Looks like something from Ikea- I took the top and bottom off today- planning on flipping it upside down so the 'drawers' are on the bottom, replace the bottom with a 2x6' flat all around, brace it all with 2x4", flip the doors too and add plywood to the top- I think that should do it, no sump planned for now ( just in tank)-will plan for one to possibly be added later

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I dont remeber who makes the stand,but it is in fact an aquarium stand. Not ikea or kitchen .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211122-173553_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211122-173553_Google.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 2

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I dont remeber who makes the stand,but it is in fact an aquarium stand. Not ikea or kitchen .
I guess it is, I just don't like what holds is together- those turn clips like a kit- plastic, and the support for the tank is narrow in places. I don't have air conditioning and my house gets pretty humid in the summer. I don't trust is as a stand alone- will do the bracing, the cabinet will be more of a 'face'